Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angelinagardens

IMPORTANT - location change for Sunday's Spring Swap

angelinagardens
13 years ago

I will be so glad to see everyone! Just as a reminder, the swap will be held this Sunday, May 23, at 11 a.m.

When I started plans to host the swap, I was anticipating a significantly smaller group than has now RSVP'd. I can't wait to meet everyone, but I don't think I can accomodate this many people in my little yard, so I am going to change the venue to a local park. I've made the reservation for us to have the tables at Blue Skies Park in Longmont (http://www.ci.longmont.co.us/parks/park_list/overview/blueskies.htm) We have this space for the entire day. It would still be great if people could bring folding tables/chairs to be sure that we have more than enough space to put plants, lunch, etc. Since the new venue has a $35 charge associated, I'll put out a change cup. I know many of us are driving a ways to join the group, but I think with all the many people who are attending, if we all throw in a dollar or so, we should be able to cover the costs. (I will take the cup away once we hit $35 - I'm certainly not trying to make any money!)

I hope this won't change anyone's plans to attend, but I think the extra space will be much easier for everyone. Several people have also mentioned that they will be bringing children (as will I), and now we have two playgrounds available to help entertain the little ones. Also, I have a dog and a cat, and this will allow those who have allergies to come too. (I have had a few emails about this.)

I hope that this is ok, and I look forward to seeing everyone there. I will contact all the people who have sent me email to make sure they all know. I'll post a sign on my front door, with directions, in case anyone slips through the cracks.

Thanks again,

Angel

Comments (17)

• highalttransplant
    13 years ago

Mapquest does not pull up anything for Blue Skies Park in Longmont. Can someone please give me directions.

Thanks,
    Bonnie

• angelinagardens
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Bonnie,

There is a mapquest map on City of Longmont page for Blue Skies Park - go to http://www.ci.longmont.co.us/parks/park_list/overview/blueskies.htm and scroll to the bottom for more information. You can also use mapquest or google maps for the park address, which is 1520 Mountain Drive, Longmont. We will be in the West shelter - the one by the playgrounds. I will have signs (and maybe balloons, we'll see!) to help orient everyone. If you need help, or if I can do anything, please email me - angel@smeat.net

Angel

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    13 years ago

Do they have bathrooms?

How about running water for washing hands and such?

Since it's on a Sunday, how many "other" people might be roaming around there that could be picking up the plants we've brought for the friends we know here on RMG? Since we don't actually know what we all look like, anybody could just show up and start taking things and we wouldn't know any difference.

• highalttransplant
    13 years ago

Thanks, Angel! Hey, can you look at the directions on the link below, and tell me if this is the easiest way to get to the park? Sometimes Mapquest doesn't give you the best route.

Thanks,
    Bonnie

Here is a link that might be useful: Directions to park

• angelinagardens
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bonnie, that should work. Alternatively, you can try
    http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Silt&1s=CO&1y=US&1l=39.548599&1g=-107.655602&1v=CITY&2c=Longmont&2s=CO&2a=1520+Mountain+Dr&2z=80503&2y=US&2l=40.140443&2g=-105.173569&2v=ADDRESS#b/maps/m:map:10:40.131997:-105.113207::::::1:1:::::::::/l:::Silt:CO::US:39.548599:-107.655602:city::1:::/l::I-25+N:::::40.07582:-104.98027 :latlng::2:::/l::SR-119:::::40.142398:-105.129981:latlng::2:::/l::Clover+Basin+Dr:::::40.143291:-105.146423:latlng::2:::/l::1520+Mountain+Dr:Longmont:CO:80503:US:40.140443:-105.173569:address::1:::/io:1:::::f:en_US:M::/bl:/e

Skybird, they do have bathrooms, and we can wash hands there. We will put the plants inside the enclosure on the picnic tables. There will be all of us there, around the plants, plus you suggested that we all have nametags with our Gardenweb names on them, and that should keep anyone from just wandering up and taking plants. In my experience, this particular park doesn't tend to be overpopulated, and therefore the general public shouldn't be inclined to just come up and steal plants. I think it will be ok, but I am happy to talk about any concerns.

thanks,
    Angel

• jclepine
    13 years ago

Oh, good, as long as they have bathrooms. I've always thought of hosting it but first we had a composting toilet, then a tiny incinerating toilet and now although we have a larger incinerating toilet, it maxes out at about 4 people. Naturally, I tend to worry about bathroom availability :) It is a long drive out and I'll have to pee right away!

I'll look up the park, I'm easily lost in Longmont although I do know where Main Street is...wait, do I?

Looking forward to the swap.

J

13 years ago

Angel, IÂve heard from three people who hadnÂt gotten an email from you saying there had been a change in location. Since there are a LOT of people who rarely check in on RMG, I concerned that there are going to be people who get to your house and, even if thereÂs a sign that says itÂs been moved, theyÂre not gonna have a clue where to go. I know IÂm not AT ALL familiar with Longmont, and if that had happened to me, I just might have turned around and come back home! (I would not have been able to find it on my map without going online first to get in the right general area---and very few people are going to have a detailed map of Longmont, even if they knew where to look.)

So would you please try again to email all the people you have email addresses for to tell them to check out RMG for the information, and since some peopleÂs email will reject "bulk" mailings, please watch for Mailer Daemon messages telling you it didnÂt go thru, and send it individually if that might help. Since IÂm not hosting it, I donÂt have addresses for most of the people coming to this one!

And would you put some sheets out by the sign at your house with specific directions on how to get from your house to the park? And maybe include your cell number, just in case. If I got up there and didnÂt have any idea where to go, IÂd be pretty upset. Some of these people are driving a LONG way to get here.

Thanks! After all the planning, I just donÂt want people driving for hours and not being able to find us after they get here!

Skybird

• greenbean08_gw
    13 years ago

I never received a change of venue email either so I second the suggestion to re-email people.

• angelinagardens
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Skybird,

If people have questions or concerns about the swap, please feel free to email me at angel@smeat.net. I am not doing a bulk mailing - I have been emailing each person, one by one, with the updated information and address for the park. If you haven't received an email yet, I am trying to do them as quickly as possible. Skybird, if you have details to work out with me on this, maybe it would be more constructive to email me directly? I thought that since I was hosting the swap, I would be sorting out a lot of the details, but you have put a lot of time and energy into making things go as they have in prior years. All your attention and energy is great, but having duplication happening is frustrating. I don't feel, personally, that there is any real difference in hosting the swap at the park instead of on my front lawn except that there will be plenty of room for everyone at the park. There is not enough parking in my neighborhood for 35+ people. I only have one bathroom. I don't have a big enough lawn to handle more than 20 people. I also don't have eight or nine tables for all the separate accomodations for plants, plants that have been reserved for people, beverages, desserts, main courses, places to actually sit and eat, etc. I am sorry that I misunderstood what a large project this is. This is my very first year with the swap, or on the GardenWeb website, and this is all new to me. I am very excited to get to meet everyone, but moving it to the park really is the best that I can do. The park is only two miles from my house, and we have posted lots of directions, so I think this will all work out fine. I will post big day-glo green signs at the park location so that no one will be confused about where they should be.

As I have stated in several messages on the site, I will put lots and lots of copies of maps from my front door to the park on my door, just in case anyone misses the messages on here or doesn't get my emails and still ends up at my house. I know many people are traveling a long way, and I want everyone to be happy and have a good time.

Skybird, if you would rather find another location that would be easier for everyone, I am happy to let everyone know where that will be. I want everyone to end up happy with this. I know you have put a lot of work into making this go smoothly, and I know everyone appreciates it.

thanks,
    Angel

13 years ago

I've received messages from two more people saying they hadn't gotten an email either.

• bekajoi
    13 years ago

I didn't get an email, but I check in here just in case! Things happen, that's how it goes. Maybe, Angel, put a sign on your door with a map/simple directions to the new location in case people show up at the wrong spot after all?

• angelinagardens
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'll continue sending emails tonight. Everyone who has emailed me for the swap address will get an email tonight, so Skybird, if they email you saying they haven't gotten one, please redirect them to the threads that have maps, or tell them to email me. Bekajoi, thanks for the suggestion - we will have a map on my front door with directions from my house to the park, and we will have lots of extra copies there so people can pick one up and take it with them as they drive if they need to. Looking forward to seeing everyone soon. Skybird, if you need anything swap-related from me, please email me at angel@smeat.net - I am sure that seeing all the back-and-forth is getting old for people.

thanks,
    Angel

• angelinagardens
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ok - everyone who has emailed me should have gotten an email from me updating them on the situation. Everyone, contact me at angel@smeat.net if you need anything!

Angel

• mayberrygardener
    13 years ago

I got your email, Angel, and the links all work great. Thanks to both you and Skybird for all your efforts on this swap--it's gonna be a big one, it sounds like!

See everybody in about 12 hours...

• greenbean08_gw
    13 years ago

I got your email too Angel. See everyone soon!

• eastautumn
    13 years ago

I haven't gotten an email (other than the first one with your address), but thankfully just checked in and saw this post. The address for the park is showing up on Google maps as 4.1 miles from your house though... Hope I'm looking at the right park (at 1520 Mountain Drive) even though you mentioned it should only be 2 miles from your house. Hope to see you all tomorrow.

• greenbean08_gw
    13 years ago

Here's the map she linked in the email

http://www.mapquest.com/mq/2-vKm8iO6j

Here is a link that might be useful: Mapquest from I-25 to park