Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
felix_grow

new guina impatiens

felix-grow
13 years ago

Recently moved to Sandy Utah after a long career in the embassies in the Middle East, what zone am I in and would it be safe to plant new guina impatiens right after mother's day.

Comment (1)

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Felix,

Welcome to RMG!

This will help some with your zonebut just some! Go to the Arbor Day Zone Map, click on Find Your Hardiness Zone, and then enter your zip code.

BUTÂfrom the people who have posted here that live near SLC it sounds to me like the zones around there can vary a LOT depending on just exactly where you are! Also, zones are not at all "fool proof!" HereÂs something I just posted a couple days ago on another thread:

DonÂt freak out too much about exactly what zone you are. Even if you were right in the middle of a definite zone, local terrain and other conditions can make noticeable differences in what you can grow. Structures, fences and vegetation can make differences, as can lay of the landÂlike someone in a slight valley might have colder temps than nearby neighbors. And the other thing is that if you start to look up individual plants, youÂll often find that different sites will list them as different zones! GardeningÂespecially "zones"Âis a very imperfect "science!" And other conditions like light, soil, and moisture have at least as much to do with success as do your low temperaturesÂwhich are only averages anyway. The best way to figure out what will work for you is to try things little by little. In a couple years youÂll have a pretty good idea of whatÂs working for you and whatÂs not. If you find something that needs warmer temps, plant it in a more sheltered place like next to a fence or building. You might be surprised by some of the things that do just fineÂthat werenÂt supposed to, and by some of the things that ARE supposed to work where you areÂthat donÂt!

So finding out what your zone is is a place to start, but thatÂs all it is! I suspect youÂre a 5, but around there I think you could be considered a 6 or, conceivably even a 4.

Impatiens are VERY cold sensitive things, and IÂd be hesitant to put them out yet unless youÂre for sure gonna be there to cover them overnite when necessary, and in order to know when to cover them youÂd need to be watching the weather pretty closely. NOAA is a quick and easy way to do that, and theyÂre usually pretty accurate. Click on your end of Utah, then click on about where you are in the SLC area, and then you can get really close to where you actually live by clicking on your neighborhood on the little interactive map on the right side.

They can probably take colder than this, but if itÂs getting down to 40 or lower, IÂd probably cover them just to be safe. When theyÂre small you can invert an empty pot over them, or a milk bottle with the bottom cut out, or anything that will give them a little insulation. A light or medium weight blanket or piece of fabric would work, or a double layer of old sheet. DonÂt use plastic if itÂs gonna touch them! If you have somewhere to keep them inside, it might be easier to just wait a week or two, but if it looks like youÂre in for a stretch of fairly warm weather for the next couple weeks, planting them out now works as long as youÂre paying attention to changes in the forecast. WeÂre expecting COLD here in the Denver area for the next week, so my tender stuff is staying in for now! I hope it starts seriously warming up after that, Âcause IÂm gettin tired of having all this stuff inside!

Moving from the Middle East to Utah must be quite a switch for you! Let us know when you have questions. ThereÂs almost always somebody around here who can helpÂeven if itÂs just moral support! ;-) If you get a chance, go over to the WhoÂs Here in 2010 thread and tell us a little bit more about yourself.

WeÂre glad you found us,
    Skybird