Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lghamm

Alternative to Skyrocket Juniper

lghamm
10 years ago

I apologize if this ends up posting twice. I tried to post an hour or so ago and it hasn't shown up yet, so I'm trying again.

I live in the suburbs north of Denver. I've had 3 skyrocket junipers for about 7 years that I've been happy with in the narrow space I have to work with. I've tied them up every winter, but this year I did not as they have gotten too tall for me (about 12 ft.). They were severely damaged this winter and I need to replace them. I would like to get something similar in size and shape that doesn't have to be tied up every winter. I'm considering a "Blue Totem" spruce. I'd like to know how those have worked out for other people. Any other suggestions?

This post was edited by lghamm on Sat, May 18, 13 at 13:25

Comments (7)

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    10 years ago

Ighamm,

You are not alone. I lost one of my 2 this winter, too. Were they damaged by snow load, wind, or the drought? I'm tempted to ask you take a pic of the space and post it on the conifer forum. The folks there could suggest replacement trees for you. Whats your soil type and the exposure? What kind of wind do you get there? I can understand you not wanting to have to tie them up each year.

Barb

• lghamm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Barb! They were damaged by snow load. We had several late, wet, heavy snows this spring. I have a small back yard on the west side of my house and my skyrocket junipers are in a 5' wide bed along the west fence. Our soil is clay and wind is not a problem.
    (I'll try posting in the Conifers forum, too. I appreciate the suggestion)
    Laura

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    10 years ago

Ighamm,

You're welcome. I could spend a couple of hours researching what the conifer form folks can tell you off the top of their heads in three minutes.Just keep in mind they aren't used to dealing with our intense sun and lack of moisture, so full sun to them is probably 1/2 day sun to us and you'll need to check moisture level on new plantings often. I hope you find the perfect tree!

Barb

• lghamm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Barb,

I received a few helpful replies in the conifers forum. I plan on going with Thuja occidentalis 'Degroot's Spire.' Now I just need to find some. The 2 places I've had time to check so far didn't have any. The hunt is on!

Thank you!

Laura

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    10 years ago

I'm not sure what area of town you're in, but the Tree Farm in Longmont has them listed. You can copy and paste the link.

http://www.thetreefarm.com/arborvitae-degroots-spire

Barb

• lghamm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The Tree Farm in Longmont is only 20 minutes away from me and I had never been there until today. I had no idea it was so big! But they only had 3 Degroot's Spires and they were all multi-leader. The conifer forum guys said it was imperative that I only get single leader trees, otherwise I would have the same snow problem I had with the Skyrockets. I'm starting to think I'll have to buy baby trees online and raise them myself. Or decide I want something that is more readily available.:) Thanks again for your help, Barb.

Laura

• gmp3
    10 years ago

I don't know if you have planted yet, but I lost 5 Arborvitae this year as did everyone else I know. I would not plant a Thuja (arborvitae). Are you sure you had skyrocket junipers and not Arborvitae? Junipers are hardier than Arborvitae. If you do plant the Thuja, water it a lot, all winter long!

I am looking for replacements now.

I am just south of Denver. Good luck!