Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
crowns of plants, rose, help!

Posted by jclepine CO_4/5 (My Page) on
Mon, May 11, 09 at 13:24

Hi all. I have a question regarding my Kaitlin Ainsley rose that I was so certain was dead. It came up with a couple stem sprouts with leaves today. The old stems are still dead.

After reviewing the plant, I realized I might have buried it too deep last year!!! If I covered the crown, that might have "killed" it off?

So, now that I know it is alive, should I raise it up a bit or leave it to make its own, new crown with the new stems?

It seems to be the only downward sloping part of the bed so I wouldn't mind raising it a bit.

Or, should I just leave it alone, let it come back to life and wait until next year to move it about?

Funny how two years of horticulture courses and an entire lifetime of planting and gardening could leave me completely unaware that covering the crown could kill a plant!! I guess it is a good thing that I never covered a crown before!

Thanks!!

(sorry the photos are so gigantic!!)

new growth on once-thought-dead rose

new growth on once-thought-ded rose

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: crowns of plants, rose, help!

• Posted by skybird z5, Denver, CO (My Page) on
    Mon, May 11, 09 at 14:20

Is it grafted or on its own root? If own root, it should be fine just like it is!

Gotta go,
Skybird

o

Maybe. I would expect it,esp if grafted. You'll know if the canes are different and the fls are red.

Dan

o

Thanks!!

It is own-root (I've only bought own-roots so far) so I'm not worried. I'll go ahead and leave it as is.

Thanks!!

J

o

J -

My knowledge of roses is severely limited, but I did get two David Austin roses last week and here are the planting directions:

"Position the rose so that the bud union is about 4" below ground level in cold winter areas and at ground level in milder areas." And under Winter Protection - " The chances of survival in cold winter areas (zone 5 and below) can be improved by deep planting initially and by burying the stems with about ten inches of partly composted shredded bark, sawdust or similar, once winter has set in."

The pictures that go with the instructions clearly show the crown and the first couple inches of canes below ground, so I would guess that planting it deep is not what is causing your problem - and raising it up might not be a good thing.

Are you sure the old canes are dead? They look ok to me, and my roses (the older ones) have just started showing signs of life in the last day or two. And the new ones - planted (deep) Friday, new growth showing today. WooHoo!

o

Thanks, Windwhipped! I feel like there is always something new to learn :)

I'm certainly not going to mess with it now. I did feed it when I fed the others as I did not want to give up on it. Good choice! (pats self of back)

I'm not 100% sure the canes are dead, they just look it to me. The four other roses have all had growth from their canes for about three weeks now.

I cannot complain, I want to see this rose in bloom and I want to see those gigantic red hips come fall!

I love David Austins! Which ones did you get? I haven't been brave enough to try any of those up here but I used to have a Graham Thomas and another one I forgot...Jude the Obscure?? The deer ate them regularly :(

Thanks for sharing!!

J

o

I got Gertrude Jekyll and Abraham Darby, both climbing. I am a little concerned, too, about how well they will do here, but I needed some new roses and I couldn't resist the pretty pictures. Besides, you never know until you try. Good luck with yours, and keep your fingers crossed for mine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here