Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bexay6211

Sooo... former owners planted Myrtle spurge

bexay6211
14 years ago

Ok I have lived in my house for a year and I have just been doing my best building a garden from mostly scratch when we have a few extra bucks here and there. I noticed three or four of these weird looking plants last year and didnt think anything of it... this year they are freaking EVERYWHERE. So I looked it up and low and behold.. its a colorado noxious weed. GREAT. we already spent a couple hundred bucks taking out russian olives out of our yard (another noxious weed and REALLY not easy to kill). Anyway.. im getting peeved.. so my question is does anyone know how to remove it without killing everything else around it????

Comments (5)

• jclepine
    14 years ago

I'm not sure how to remove it but I found this and thought it would be worth mentioning in case you don't know:

"Although easily removed by hand, this member of the spurge family (Euphorbiaceae), contains a milky sap that is CAUSTIC TO SKIN AND EYES."

And, this:

"Combine herbicide or mechanical removal of rosettes with removal of flowering parts from any plants that have bolted."

I hope you figure the removal out!!! Good luck,

J.

Here is a link that might be useful: Myrtle Spurge info found here

• phloxy_mary
    14 years ago

I know what you're going through with the "noxious weed". Fortunately it is better than Russian Olive! I had a couple thousand in trade done to my garden by a master gardener and he used it in my garden. That was before it banned. It was very ornamental! My tenants at the property where it was just had to keep digging and pulling it out until it no longer came back. Luckily it was my brother and his wife renting at the time. It did eventually go away. Be sure to wear gloves and don't let children near it. Good luck!

• david52 Zone 6
    14 years ago

If it were me, I'd head down to the nearest farm store and get a gallon of the generic roundup®, and mix that stuff up at 2.0 oz / gallon, and spray the stuff. Then I'd wait two weeks, and spray it again. And if I see anything after that, one more time.

I know that we generally all have an aversion to spraying stuff, and I certainly do, but there comes a point with some of the really noxious, invasive weeds that are all around you by the millions that it is the only practical solution, particularly on acreage. That roundup spray regime will get just about anything, including bind weed, spurge, and now, I hope, Bermuda Grass. At least I think it's Bermuda grass 'cause it looks like it and acts like it, but I need to see the stuff go to seed to be sure. It's in San Juan County Utah, just across the canyons, so there isn't any reason it couldn't be here, and it grows in the only spots that it could.........

• jclepine
    14 years ago

I totally have an aversion to spraying anything!!

But, when it comes to invasive plants that are capable of threatening or wiping out delicate ecosystems and important wild flora, I say spray.

If the CO says to spray, then it is probably better than letting it take over.

Too bad you have to deal with it; I hope it goes away easily so you can get down to business with your garden plans!

• bexay6211
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks guys! I pulled them out, in someof the husbands army gear that he doesnt need any more LOL. I left the spots alone so if any of it resurfaces I will spray the crap out of it. Now... to figure out how to infor my neighbor about this... she has more than ME!