Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bekajoi

Spring Swap FOOD?

bekajoi
13 years ago

Hey all! I love to cook but don't want to overlap anything! What are people planning to bring for food purposes?

If there's another thread for the food aspect of the swap just let me know! :) I didn't see any food talk in the what are you bringing/what do you want thread.

Comments (31)

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    13 years ago

bekajoi, I think there was a mention or two in the what are you bringing, what do you want thread, but that one's getting cumbersome to read. Not that I'm complaining, the interest in the swap is awesome! Good for you for starting this one.
    I'm bringing a shrimp platter and styrofoam cups.
    Barb

• kareng_grow
    13 years ago

I'll bring corn muffins and homemade apple butter as well as homemade peach jam. I can also bring napkins?

• jclepine
    13 years ago

I wouldn't worry about what is being brought as long as lots of people bring savory dishes and not desserts. Sometimes the desserts get overwhelming!

I'll be bringing a savory dish, probably something simple like a pasta salad but it all depends on how I feel. If I've got the energy and time, I might make something fancier but pasta salad is so easy and liked. Well, I like it :)

The best way to avoid all the same thing is to bring what "you" like to eat. We all like different things and, if the dishes aren't to your liking, you can always eat what you brought! I've done that before, worked really well.

Another thing to try is for those who are traveling long distances or who don't have time to make something, when running into the market, instead of grabbing a cake or cupcakes, grab a veggie platter, a bag of apples or something like that. Just as quick/easy as a box of cookies but more satisfying on a long day outside. (just my opinion though!!)

And, don't get me wrong, I might even bring a homemade sweet along with a homemade savory--I do like desserts! The plant-swap dessert of my dreams is the homemade chocolate cake someone brought to the last spring swap. Man, oh, man, that was out-of-sight!

I'll be bringing the utensils--knives, forks and spoons. They can be composted but only in those big, commercial composters. I'm just happy they aren't plastic!

I''m getting pretty excited!

J.

• angelinagardens
    13 years ago

Sounds like we will have a nice variety of food! Some of the locals are bringing drinks, green salad, and cups. Just a reminder - if you have folding chairs, please bring them, and folding tables would be helpful too. We do have two small grills, if anyone wants to use them. And if anyone wants to attend but has not yet emailed me, please contact me at angel@smeat.net so that I can give you my address.

Angel

• bekajoi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My personal big concern is how well my dish will travel since I'm driving 2 hours each way! Hmm, savory sounds good, maybe with a simple plate of cookies as well. Picnic type foods should travel well, I suppose. Maybe a potato salad and a veggie tray. Hmm.

Becca, the over-thinker ;)

• colokid
    13 years ago

You mean you ladies can cook too?
    Forgive me, I just could not resist that after seeing all the beauty full gardens and such you all have. How do you find time?
    Wish I could come, but that is out of the question.
    Kenny

• eastautumn
    13 years ago

I will bring a couple loaves of freshly baked olive herb bread along with either olive oil dipping sauce or some kind of cheese. I can probably bring a couple of folding chairs too.

• serpent_moon
    13 years ago

i was just wondering, last year (at the fall swap) someone brought some iced tea that I liked, so maybe they can bring it again? not that they have to or anything... but i would like it ;^) (i believe it was canned, but I do not remember)

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    13 years ago

Another thread to update!

IÂm going to post this over hereÂand on the main swap threadÂso as many people as possible will see it!

HereÂs the list of things we need people to bring to the swap for the potluck! Most of it is taken care of already, but with as many people as it looks like weÂll have, we could probably still use a little more to drink just to be sure.

But we definitely STILL NEED some tables of some sort to put all the food on! If there isnÂt room on the tables Angel has, weÂll need to just put it on the ground otherwise! We need a small table for the "sign in" and name badge table too!

And if we donÂt get some more people bringing chairs, weÂll be sitting on the ground tooÂwhich is ok with me, but I did that at the first swap I had here at my house, and a lot of people didnÂt seem to like it! So if we donÂt get some more volunteers to bring chairs, plan to bring a blanket or something to sit on, on the grass!

HereÂs the list as it stands right now!

~ Beverages:
    MstyWoods
    LindseyinEvergreen - Thai iced tea
    GreenBean - lemonade?
    KarenGrow
    AngelÂs "locals"

~ Styrofoam cups
    TreeBarb
    AngelÂs "locals"

~ Paper plates
    MstyWoods

~ Napkins
    Skybird (I have this one covered, KarenGrow. Found LOTS of old ones when I was cleaning house! And just got a cool "windproof" napkin holder from somebody on FreeCycle!)

~ Plastic silverware
    Jennifer/jclepine

~ Ice
    Angel

Chairs:
    4 treebarb
    "A couple" Almond

Tables:
    Nobody yet!

Since itÂs shorter, post on this thread if you can help with tables, chairs, or beverages.

Beka, I made homemade potato salad for the last swap, and it went over really well! I am SO not gonna have time to do it again at this one, but just thot IÂd let you know that people really liked it! And if you have a styrofoam cooler, you can always stick it in there with a few ice cubes for the drive up!

And if anybodyÂs trying to think of something good to bring, we had somebody (who canÂt come to this one) bring deviled eggs a couple times, and everybody loved them too! HerÂs were from homegrown eggsÂbut I think store bought would work just fine!

Skybird

P.S. Yeah, Kenny! We can cook too! Too bad you canÂt come to sample it! Your comment reminded me of something that happened several weeks after I met my to-be (now ex) husband. He came home from work and walked into my apartment where I was at the sewing machine making a dress and blurted out: You mean you can SEW too???

• luckybottom
    13 years ago

I will bring a small table and chairs for sign in. Plus a large container of lemon water. Was going to do zucchini muffins but am now thinking Parmesan chicken. bonnie

• highalttransplant
    13 years ago

Because I have such a long drive, I'm not going to bring anything that has to be kept warm or cold, so I'll be bringing some kind of homemade cookie, or other baked good.

I can bring a folding chair or two as well.

Bonnie

• kvenkat
    13 years ago

I can bring a 5 ft table.
    Um, I am still thinking of what snack to bring.

• provogirl
    13 years ago

I can bring a table and a couple of folding chairs.

ProvoGirl

• ginnytrcka
    13 years ago

bekajoi--wondering if I could meet up with you to take my plants / pick up. My in-laws are coming this weekend last minute! I'm bummed to miss out on the homemade goodies and the swap. I live in the Springs. Maybe sometime we can have a swap here.

• highalttransplant
    13 years ago

Ginnytrcka, if Bekajoi is able to bring your plants, I would love to have one of the Mexican sunflowers you mentioned in an earlier post. I wintersowed some, but they didn't germinate.

Thanks,
    Bonnie

• serpent_moon
    13 years ago

i (and Polygonum) are going to bring home-made cookies (or bars or something like that) ;^)

• bexay6211
    13 years ago

I'll be bringing some tortilla rolls. (tortillas cream cheese, spices ham and/or turkey) Is anyone here a vegetarian? I always make at least 2 and if anyone doesnt eat meat i'll makea batch sans meat.

• kvenkat
    13 years ago

Cool! Tortilla wraps! Hubby and I are both veg (but not vegan so cheese is okay). So that's 2!

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    13 years ago

I'm bringing a card table, maybe we can use it for check in.
    Barb

• bexay6211
    13 years ago

I am glad I asked they are really tasty and I don't want to leave anyone out!

• singcharlene
    13 years ago

I'm going to bring (it sounds weird maybe-but yummy!) Pesto Potato Salad. I have a ton of parsley in the garden that I'll make homemade pesto out of with walnuts. And I have a bunch of potatoes (Costco). The pesto is milder when made with parsley rather than basil and really yummy with the potatoes.

I'll bring a few chairs too. I don't think I can fit the card table in the trunk. If I can I'll bring it too.

Looking forward to it!

Charlene

• bexay6211
    13 years ago

Oh I'll be bringing a camp chair or two depending on how many I find

• powermuffin
    13 years ago

I am brining salad (I'll leave the chicken on the side), some kind of drinks, and a few chairs.
    Diane

• serpent_moon
    13 years ago

Yay! tortilla rolls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yay!!!!!!!!!!!

;^) (sorry i LOVE them!) (well i'm not really sorry but....)

13 years ago

HereÂs an updated list of whoÂs bringing what! It looks to me like weÂre getting about enough people bringing beverages, tho if you were thinking of bringing something and havenÂt posted yet, bring it anyway!

I have a suggestion! With both the beverages AND the food items that may not be "self explanatory," if you can put some sort of a label on the container to let folks know what it is theyÂre about to ingest, I think a lot of people will appreciate it! Nothing complicated, just kind of basic info for the mixed casserole type dishesÂlike some of you are doing on this thread when youÂre saying what youÂre planning to bring. ThatÂll save everybody standing around from going: WhatÂs this??? And itÂll allow people to choose the things theyÂll like the most since it looks like there are going to be enough different things that nobody is going to be able to try them all!

Remember to plan for some sort of a cover for your dishÂeven if itÂs only plastic wrapÂto keep it fresh and to keep the bugs off! And bring a serving spoon if it will be needed for your dish!

It looks to me like we may have enough tablesÂbut thatÂs just a guess, so if somebody else has a small one they can stick in their car, just in case, that would be nice!

And weÂre getting more chairs, but based on my countÂ31 RMG members plus "a buncha" guestsÂIÂd say we could still use some more! You might still plan to stick a "picnic blanket" in your car just in case you/we need it!

~ Beverages
    MstyWoods
    LindseyinEvergreen - Thai iced tea
    GreenBean - lemonade?
    KarenGrow
    AngelÂs "locals"
    Lucky  lemon water
    PowerMuffin

~ Styrofoam cups
    TreeBarb
    AngelÂs "locals"

~ Paper plates
    MstyWoods

~ Napkins
    Skybird

~ Plastic silverware
    Jennifer/jclepine

~ Ice
    Angel

~ Chairs
    Treebarb  4
    Almond  a couple
    Lucky
    HighAlt  a couple
    KvenKat  2
    ProvoGirl  a couple
    Charlene - a few
    Bexay - a couple
    Muffin - a few

~ Tables
    Lucky - sign in table
    KvenKat  5' table
    ProvoGirl  table
    TreeBarb - table
    Charlene - possibly a table

ONE MORE THING! I think it would really be nice if a few people would bring cameras and then be willing to post some of the pics online after the swap! So far IÂve been the only one who brings a camera to the swaps, and I definitely plan to do it again, but it would be fun to look at somebody elseÂs pictures tooÂand it would make it easier on me to not have to be trying to remember to take pics too while IÂm trying to do other things! How many photographers do we have around here?

IÂm going to start one more threadÂhopefully tomorrow sometimeÂwith all the basic info againÂANDÂfor any last minute information, so check later tomorrow or on Saturday sometime to be sure there arenÂt any last minute changes or any information you might need!

ItÂs supposed to be 80ish on Sunday! Dress cool, but "throw something waterproof in the car" just in case! ...

• laura_42
    13 years ago

As I just mentioned in the wrong thread (oops!) I can bring another long table, if needed.

Also, I can serve as a card-carrying member of the Plantparazzi. :)

• bexay6211
    13 years ago

I'll be sure to bring my camera, might let the husband wield it, so he has something to do lol I'll also have my iPhone which takes some good pictures as well

• autodidact
    13 years ago

I'm bringing a folding table and couple of chairs. Due to shopping error I have a lifetime supply of plastic silverware and can bring if needed. For food I'm bringing a fruit salad.

• sherri09
    13 years ago

I can bring a small round table & at least 2 folding chairs. For food, I was planning on bringing the chocolate covered strawberries & blueberries I did last year. And I will have my camera with me to take some photos.

• bekajoi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I can bring chairs, my table out back does fold but it's glass so I'm not sure how it would transport. So, 7 folding chairs, a few meant for inside, a few for outside.

For food, I'm going to make a big batch of banana muffins. Is there a nut allergy I need to be aware of? I can add nuts if not, but won't if there is. Muffins will travel way better than any salad, and require no special equipment upon arrival (like a bread would)~

Anyway! Tomorrow!

13 years ago

SHERRI! I get dibs on one of your strawberries and blueberries! :-) I didnÂt know who brought those last year-----but I was really hoping they/you would again this year.

Bekajoi, I wouldnÂt worry about putting nuts in the muffins, but just make some sort of a little sign or label that says they have nuts in them so if itÂs a problem for somebody, they can stay away from them. ThereÂs gonna be way plenty food and thatÂs why IÂm encouraging everybody to identify their dish with some sort of label, so everybody can pick out the things theyÂre going to enjoy the most, and wonÂt need to be wondering what all the "mystery foods" are.

IÂm assuming at this point that there will NOT be any way to reheat things or keep things cold that may need it, so if youÂre bringing something hot, I guess just insulate it as well as you can and weÂll eat it at whatever temp it winds up being. And if it needs to be kept cold, if you have it in a cooler or something, unload your plants and other stuff first and get it out last. WeÂll be using the tables at the park, which, if the pic I saw is where weÂll be are under a shelter roof, for the food, so if we plan right, we should be able to keep the food in some shade to help.

EVERYBODY READ THIS!

IÂm going to put this at the bottom of each thread to try to be sure as many people as possible see it!

Angel has changed the location of the swap. If you donÂt already know about it, go to her "IMPORTANT - location change for SundayÂs Spring Swap" thread and post or email if you have any questions, and IÂve posted possible directions on my "Final Spring Swap 2010 Information Thread," which I'll be trying to follow today to help if anybody has questions.

Skybird

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler