Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
provogirl_gw

Butter Mochi Recipe

provogirl
13 years ago

Here is the recipe for Butter Mochi. I got this recipe from a Japanese/Hawaiian woman who owned a little cafe in Mesa AZ called "Highland Cafe" which is now closed. I am glad you all liked it.

Butter Mochi

1 20 oz. box sweet rice flour (3 ¾ cups)

2 ½ cups granulated sugar

2 TBS. baking powder

½ tsp. sea salt

1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter

1 can coconut milk (2 cups)

½ cup milk

5 eggs

1 tsp. vanilla extract (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees . Mix dry ingredients in large mixing bowl. Mix all wet ingredients in another bowl. Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Grease 2 9"x13" pans. Pour batter evenly into both pans. Bake for 45-60 minutes. Great with coffee.

ProvoGirl

Comments (12)

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    13 years ago

Were these the flat bar kinda things in the baking pans?

Assuming that's a yes, I loved them too! Thank you for the recipe!

Where can you buy rice flour in bigger packages than the little Red Mill size bags you get in a regular food store?

And is SWEET rice flour different than "Stone Ground White Rice Flour?" (Uninitiated here!)

And is coconut milk available in regular food stores? What department? And this IS the thick white stuff and not the thin coconut water that's in a coconut, right?

If made with gluten free baking powder, these would be gluten free! I have a friend who's gonna love them!

Thank you, ProvoGirl!

Skybird

• serpent_moon
    13 years ago

yes, thank you! these were VERY good (the ones at the swap) ;^) thank you for the recipe!

• angelinagardens
    13 years ago

These were delicious - thanks for the recipe! Skybird, coconut milk is usually in the Asian/Ethnic ingredient aisle at the grocery store.

Angel

• provogirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Skybird- I usually get "Thai Kitchen" Organic Lite Coconut Milk, it is the thin milk and is NOT sweetened. I also buy "Ener G" brand Sweet Rice Flour which comes in a 20 oz box. I haven't been able to find the flour in bulk anywhere. I get both of these at the Sprouts Farmer's Market grocery store on 120th and Sheridan but I am sure you can buy both items at any grocery store. You also could leave out the butter if you want them to be a little bit healthier and I have cut down on the sugar before also. I also baked these for the swap on full sized baking sheets to make them go a little bit farther. I just reduced the cooking time to about 33 minutes and rotated the pans halfway through.

• mstywoods
    13 years ago

Thank you! Can't wait to try making them :^)

13 years ago

Leave out the butter? Who wants healthy! LOL! And I think I heardÂonceÂthat sugar is good for you! Heh, heh, heh!

Thanks for the info. I stop at Sprouts at least every couple weeks---tho they sure do seem to have cut back on their produce department, and on sale items, in the last couple months! Sure wish rice flour was available in larger packages.

It'll be a while before I make them---just too busy right now, but I'll print the recipe to save it.

Thanks again,
    Skybird

• polygonum_tinctorium
    13 years ago

You can make your own rice flour if you have access to short-grained sticky rice (aka glutinous rice). Grind up the rice in a blender or spice grinder until it is a nice fine powder. That's rice flour.

You might be able to find larger and/or less expensive packages of sweet rice flour in Asian ethnic stores.

• mooseling
    13 years ago

I've bought glutinous rice flour at Pacific Mercantile in downtown Denver before. It's been a while, but I think it was pretty inexpensive. They also sell the sticky rice at good prices there to make your own, but I've never been able to get it as fine as I wanted - there was always a larger piece of rice somewhere. Still able to work with it but I like my mochi to look pretty.

• greenbean08_gw
    13 years ago

Skybird, I have an old-Vermont-style cookbook (written by a woman probably close to the age my great-grandmother would be) where she writes that sugar is an "essential ingredient in every meal" and that "refined cane sugar is a pure, wholesome, naturally occurring carbohydrate...". "Carbohydrates are necessary in our diets for their energy value and to assist in the utilization of fat & spare protein..."

I think that sounds good :-)

13 years ago

LOL! That sounds good to me too, Bean!

(Not that I need a good reason to convince myself to eat sugar! It just sorta comes naturally to me! I'm the one who eats Vitamin IC almost every nite before I go to bed!)

:-)
    Skybird

• provogirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I agree!!! It also comes naturally to me and since I love to bake it really comes naturally. LOL! For as much stuff as I get done in a day it wouldn't be possible without sugar and coffee "for their energy value".

• greenbean08_gw
    13 years ago

Yeah, I have a little sugar habit myself.

Skybird, she also wrote a full page about ice cream (mostly history). I heard last week that New Englanders consume the most ice cream per capita. That does not surprise me (I mean really, Vermont is home to Ben & Jerry). Are you sure you're not from New England?? :-)