Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
raspberry starts...can it be done?

Posted by jclepine CO_4/5 (My Page) on
Mon, May 4, 09 at 15:11

So, having a grotesquely large amount of raspberries in my yards, I brought some to the last spring and fall swaps. But, it seems they have died.

I am pretty sure that the starts I collected and potted were complete: roots, healthy tops and buds at the crowns. Should I dig deeper?

I'm thinking it might be a waste to dig some up now for the swap but maybe I can start some earlier and about a month before the fall swap?

Advice is appreciated!

J.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: raspberry starts...can it be done?

Raspberry starts are one of the great mysteries of life. I dunno how many people I know, who are really good gardeners, fail at this. And other times, it works easily. After comparing notes, and successful/not-so-successful attempts, I have figured out the following:

- do it when they're dormant.

- don't wait. Dig up, transport to new location, plop in location, cover with dirt, water in.

o

Well, since mine are dormant, except that one by the shed, I think it will be safe to wait until just before the swap, so the person can put them in the ground and so they won't have been out too long.

Thanks, David!!

o

Then dig them up the day before or the day of the swap and wrap the bottom in several layers of wet newspaper, Jennifer, and put each individual "plant" in a separate plastic bag. We'll need to be sure they stay in the shade on the day of the swap.

I LOVE raspberries and wish I had somewhere to put some,
Skybird

o

When I lived in WA state my buddy had some early-bearers and I took some of my long-bearers over to his place, they get June-mid Sept raspberries now. Anyway, I had some 15-gals and put 6 canes in a pot. But we had black loam and it was western Washington...

This fall's project is doing the raised bed for raspberries and asparagus. I have the bed all laid out so everyone can get used to the size. Whoo-hoo!

Dan

o

The one I got from you at the fall swap has just barely started showing some green leaves at the base under the mulch, so maybe the others didn't die but are just slow to wake up.

Dafy/Jen

o

Oh my word!! I'm glad it is alive, Dafy!

Okay, I'll give it a shot again this year. Thanks for chiming in :)

J

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here