Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rain and hail on my little sprouts

Posted by Tfour CO (My Page) on
Sat, May 21, 11 at 15:22

We've gotten SO much rain here in Boulder lately, and yesterday I guess there was hail and high wind with it too. Earlier in the week we had just transplanted some starts of chard, spinach and lettuce into the raised bed. Today, after yesterday's storm, they're flattened - wilted, sad, limp.
Is there any chance they'll bounce back? Or should I forge ahead and re-plant something?
Sad day - I'm fairly new at this, and this is the first time we've had this plot.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rain and hail on my little sprouts

• Posted by jnfr z5b CO (My Page) on
    Sat, May 21, 11 at 16:02

If the growing tip is smashed, it would be better to replant. You should be able to tell within a few days if the plants begin growing again.

Sorry for your baby plant loss. We've all had hail problems at times and it can be devastating.

o

Hi Tfour,

If they're just flattened/smashed down into the soil, very gently lift them to get them unstuck from the surface of the soil and see how they look in a few days. My lettuce and spinach were completely stuck to the soil a couple days ago too. I don't have much, but it looks like it's going to recover at this point.

Welcome to RMG,
Skybird

o

Lots of us on the Front Range had leaf damage. Typical. Usually stuff pops back, and I agree that if the tips are shredded its a goner. I might lose one pepper from last week. But I'll take the rain, if only to lower the drought condition from severe to moderate.

BTW if I may, IMHO getting a little late for starting cool seasons - even at 45 days for lettuce and spinach, that is July and temps in the 80s will bolt them. Others may disagree & can chime in, but shade cloth in the foothills sounds like a tree ornament. I have spinach in the ground but harvested all my chard and lettuce (to make room for warm-seasons). Just a thought & hopefully cool spring will continue & not a problem.

Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here