Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
col_sprg_maters

I am planting

col_sprg_maters
13 years ago

Many other Rocky Mtn gardeners probably already have.

But, we had 38F last night, and I dont see anymore thirties for a while. colo springs, 6650 feet at my place. tired of waiting.

So a few 'Maters going in the ground today. One in a 99cent Grocery bag for every one in the ground.

Lemon boy, bush early girl, Sweet 100 so far.

Many in the first bags have flowers.

Dont know what to do with the Clint Eastwood 22inch one. It was expensive, it is big and it is fairly healthy, but a bit gangly. Kinda like a young Eastwood was.

It is in a 6" wide pot and needs to be moved.. decisions.. can I put it in a 7gallon floppy green grocery bag, or a 15 gallon black traditional pot. or in the ground?

Can I paint the black 15 gallon pot white or silver?

What mix to use?? It's in Lowes Stagreen with my extra perlite at the moment. what about fertilizer, its not close to flowering so, maybe 12-12-12 with micros, or 3-?-2 ?

forgive.. cant find my reading glasses.. they may be in the garden. so a few typos maybe.

Comments (11)

• jclepine
    13 years ago

I know nothing about taters but, um, could you put a poncho around the pot you do end up putting it in? Or is that just way to silly?

I'm going to plant tonight, mainly because the neighbors' hoop-house frame that I coveted was in their free pile since they are moving to Durango. OMGosh! I finally got their garden frame and it is the perfect size for my veggie bed! So, now I can safely plant without worrying about hail. If it hails, I'll cover.

Ahh, feels good to get things out, doesn't it?

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

Hoops are very good. Mine right now are allowing my peppers to grow back some leaves in the 6 hours I left them exposed to the winds until I could put up the hoops and fabric. *smacks head*

Dan

• digit
    13 years ago

My little hoopie is still out beside the zinnias but I don't think it will be needed. I discovered that 1 more tomato has died so that will be 17 out of the 60+ that had to be replaced.

I'm sorry Col_sprg_maters, I know very little about growing tomatoes in containers and bags(?). But, I did do some planting out the last 2 days.

Replaced the dead cucumbers (all), pumpkins (all), and squash (2 or 3 survived!) that I didn't have under buckets last week. Can't hardly believe that the dahlias & spuds came thru with only the sprinklers!

Peppers were planted out yesterday . . . some of them were dropping lower leaves because they were rootbound. The melons were a little rootbound also and they went out. It was nice to see them there in the open garden. Made me smile despite the mud and drenching shower of rain.

There are only the eggplants and basil left and will sow some sweet corn and more beans, if and when the weather finally warms. The gardens will be full at that time. The rain has fallen most of the day here - better than wind and frost.

Steve

• xaroline
    13 years ago

You are ahead of us. The weather reports suggest we can begin too.
    I lost four out of eight of tomato plants which I jumped the gun and put out there. Still have more in the house.
    Caroline zone 3

• col_sprg_maters
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yeah, I read reports about these Zone 7, 8 folks that are already harvesting from their seedlings. some things are just not fair.

Steve, re. "bags";

On a continuum of growing.... with 'normal in the ground gardening' at one end- and 'Hydroponics' at the other extreme, 'Plastic pot container' gardening is kind of in the middle, with "Self Watering Containers" between plastic pots and Hydroponics. Each of these, except 'normal in the ground gardening', requires its own specific growing medium.

I am trying to use the 99cent reuseable 5-8 gallon permeable grocery bags as a moveable container that can use pretty much good garden soil with some extra perlite. This would sit on the continuem between 'Plastic pot container' gardening and 'normal in the ground gardening'. The closest thing to it would be the "Smart Pots'. (these grocerybags have closer physical properties to soil than does a plastic pot and are a lot cheaper and easier to store)

For me its a cost, convenience and "closer to nature's way" reasoning for Mountain gardening - from 30F Spring Greenhouse to 80F outdoors without replanting everthing. Just drag the bag from the greenhouse to the yard.

Its an experiment, and as Edison said: "If I knew how it was going to turn out, it wouldn't be an experiment would it?"

Still at least one of everything goes in the ground; something has to work compared to last years complete failure.

Probably more data than desired.

D

• jclepine
    13 years ago

That is an interesting idea for the "pots", using the re-usable grocery bags!! I'll have to think about that since we bring in all our tomatoes when it hails.

Our friends down the mountain in Hygeine just told us last week that they were harvesting their first crop...ooooh.

Well, it is more challenging up here, isn't it?!

J

• mayberrygardener
    13 years ago

I LOVE the idea of the shopping bags! Of course they're absolutely the right price, since those Smart Pots are ridiculously expensive, and very similar in breathability.

Of course, keeping them in enough water would be a concern, since it gets so flippin' dry around here. Will you be doing saucers underneath? I think they would wick up as much as they need and any extra would evaporate out pretty quickly...

Regarding your Clint Eastwood (are you saving seeds? I'd love a few come harvest time! Really want to try that variety!), I would personally plant it in a bag, and be sure to bury it deep since it's so gangly. That way, if winds are predicted and the stem hasn't toughened up yet, it'll be easier to move to a protected area.

Good luck, and let us know how planting in shopping bags works out!

• col_sprg_maters
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am using the principles of the Container forum, with some modifications. Last night I used a paper punch to put some extra holes in the shopping bags.

The plants in bags appear to be doing fine. dont know how long because my soil mix is not allowing everything to do the wet-dry-wet thing I want.

So off to buy some more soil modification stuff.

d

• digit
    13 years ago

D, I bought some "soil modification stuff" today. Sure hope it works.

I've got some bags of Sunshine's "Planting Mix." They are the same people who make Black Gold that I've used for a long time. This stuff, however, is made with about 80% peat and not a whole lot more "stuff." The yucca extract as a wetting agent doesn't seem to be doing its job.

So, today I got some SoilMoist Natural. Trying to mix it first in with the Whitney Farms organic fertilizer I put in the "Planting Mix" so that I can get them evenly distributed. I use the WF fertilizer in the garden, usually.

I hope this works - I hadn't meant to buy this potting mix but it was the only thing organic available when I went in.

S'

• col_sprg_maters
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I got some micro-nutrients on close out, a 4 pack of 6" Big Jim Peppers at spencers, and some Pine Bark.

C and C Sand/Gravel made it easy with 3cu ft bags of diferent size pine bark. They called and verified it was pine. the size varies a bit but it was convenient and priced well- $7.50.

Rocky Top had what I thought was a better product, a little bit smaller and more consistent in size.. But in BULK, 7 CU. foot minimum, and bring your own shovel and container. I was prepared but, It just wasnt that much better for the extra hassle and larger than needed purchase.

D in Colo Springs

• col_sprg_maters
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The bad news:

1. lost a Stupice to the wind. I thought it was just dried out, I missed the broken stalk where the wind took advantage of my pooor way of tying it to the stalk. it sat broken in a pot while I just watered.

2. ALKALINE SOIL? Not only did it peg my ph meter, but when I poored vinegar on the soil it bubbled!! Extracted two tomato plants and noticed a grey streak in the soil. Looks like a dump area for some construction material from previous owner. Dry rooted the plants and put them in good 3:1:1 pottting mix, drenched with water, and letting them rest.

Seems like a "Good the Bad and the Ugly" kind of day without the Good.