Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highalttransplant

The Garden is IN!

highalttransplant
14 years ago

Digit was encouraging us to brag about our accomplishments, so I thought I would show off this year's veggie bed.

{{gwi:391767}}

This morning I planted some basil and marigold sprouts along the very front of the bed, but other than that it's all in the picture:

5 kinds of lettuce

Spinach

Beets

Swiss Chard

Parsnips

Broccoli - 3 plants

Cauliflower - 3 plants

Carrots - 5 different kinds

Radishes - 3 different kinds

Cucumbers - 6 different varieties

Onions

Tomatoes - 7 out of eight have been planted

Peppers - 11 different kinds

Peas - 3 different kinds

I know it doesn't look like all of that is in there. Everything's so neat and tidy this time of year, but by July the plants are all climbing all over one another, and it just looks like a jungle out there!

DH was nice enough to pound in those T-posts for the tomato plants yesterday, which I'm hoping will hold up to the winds here.

I had so many basil sprouts that I started sticking them here and there in the flower beds, LOL! I was going to put them in pots on the porch, but I have used every decent looking pot I own already, plus I'm out of potting mix.

Oh, I do still need to plant the melons, but it's raining right now. Maybe I'll get to that tomorrow.

Bonnie

Comments (17)

• jclepine
    14 years ago

Great job, Bonnie!!

I think those t-posts will do fine. We use them for a wire fence we put up and they seem very steady and sturdy. Our fence was never able to stay up in the winds so we put up wire and it keeps our dogs in safe and sound.

I also remember last year. The photos showed such a sparse bed and them, bam!, you had a crowded bed in a month or two.

Looks yummy!!

J.

• singcharlene
    14 years ago

Very nice! Congrats! It looks great and it's amazing how much food you are able to grow in the space!

My tomatoes and peppers are still not in yet. We are laying out the soaker hoses in the new perimeter raised beds and it will all go in end of the week. Well, we actually already did it half of it (yesterday in the rains) and then realized we wanted the hose hook up end to be on the opposite end so the water flow didn't have to fight gravity. Ugh ;)

C

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

I'd be interested in how those plants take the wind coming around the corner, but I'm a fan of the fence as a microclimate in Colo. and you should do just fine.

Dan

• digit
    14 years ago

Yay! Bonnie!!

S'

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks guys!

Dan, the veggie bed faces pretty much south, so the wind usually comes from the left/west. Here are some pictures of a couple of the perennial beds, and you can see how the porch bumps out enough to allow protection for the pots on the porch, but it doesn't really give any protection to the veggies though.

So now you have had a tour of the entire front of the house!

Oh, and one more picture! This one is Physocarpus opulifolius 'Coppertina' my absolute favorite shrub. This one was planted two years ago, but last year it only had one bloom. This year, it is covered in buds. I think it is gorgeous!

{{gwi:218345}}

Bonnie

• greenbean08_gw
    14 years ago

Bonnie,
    What kind of grass is the bluish one in the last house picture?

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's Blue Oat Grass. Not sure if you can see in the photo, but it is already sending up seedheads, which will turn tan by mid summer.

I've posted this photo taken last year before, but the blue foliage looks so good with the orange and gold tones of the Achillea 'Terra Cotta' that I thought I would post it again : )

{{gwi:201049}}

Sorry, I'm feeling a little picture happy today! I'm amazed at how much the Blue Oat Grass has filled in since last year!

• austinnhanasmom
    14 years ago

VERY NICE!! I love the photos!!

I did a bunch of gardening this weekend and thought my tomatoes were almost photo worthy. I added the clothesline support and it all sagged. SO, now I'm attempting the Florida Weave. DH was NOT at all happy about pulling up t-posts, so I told him that was his only remaining task (he had pounded them all in months ago). He pulled up the posts and went to bed!! I thought he'd pity me and help more. I guess he thinks I'll learn some lesson?? Too old for that;)) I heard him grumbling about measuring twice and cutting once...Working smarter not harder...I am hoping the ground is still mushy so this chick can get t-posts into their new locations:)) BTW - Before I went to bed, I looked up Florida Weaving and COMMERCIAL growers struggle with trellising!!

Any Florida Weavers know what to do when a tomato plant is not in a nice row?? UGH. I guess imaginary geometry was not my thing when I planted the tomatoes in mid-March.

Nice work Bonnie!! I am SOOOOOO close to being done, and taking pictures.

• digit
    14 years ago

Start with a short length of chain bolted into a loop and wrapped around a t-post. Fit the end of a steel 5' digging bar into the loop, set a concrete block close to the post and "lever" the thing straight up out of the ground.

I have a post driver but usually just hammer them in with a sledge. Probably will have to discontinue that activity soon since repeatedly lifting an 8 pound sledge hammer above my shoulders quickly turns into a painful experience.

I've got room to let them sprawl but putting in a stake for each tomato plant and tying them with an electrician's cable tie is quick. A jute string would probably be better but takes longer and you shouldn't cinch either too tightly. You just gotta get the process started early and stay with it as the plant grows. Easier said than done.

Lovely plants, Bonnie!

S'

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

I second the 'Coppertina' endorsement, I have two and really enjoy the change in leaf color. I have one near a Spiraea 'Limemound' and the new foliage on the ninebark really complements the spiraea. And I like the stone fascia on the house.

Dan

• jnfr
    14 years ago

highalttransplant, that looks fantastic! Very professional all around.

Me, I'm still out back fighting the bindweed. At least these cool rainy days have been good for that. Garden's only partially planted, but I should have the rest of the veggies in this week.

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    14 years ago

Beautiful garden! Thanks for sharing the pics. Jnfr, I'm with you on the bindweed. It's really popping up! I have to get stakes in before I take the wow off the tomatoes. I'm trying a 3 sisters garden this year. The corn is 3 inches tall, so it's almost time to interplant the beans and pumpkins. The radishes and snow peas are taking off. I'm growing Yukon gold potatoes in tires and they're about 6 inches tall, almost ready for the 2nd layer of tires. I can't wait to get off work in the evenings so I can get home and putter in the garden!

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    14 years ago

It's looking great, Bonnie. I can never believe how much you manage to cram in to your little garden! It'll be interesting to see your summer pics again, after it really gets going this year! You mentioned possibly putting some melons or pumpkins or something in on the adjoining lot this year. Have you decided if you're going to or not yet?

Happy summer,
    Skybird

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jnfr, I haven't been planting INSTEAD of pulling bindweed, but in addition to! I was thinking today about exactly what percentage of our lot is infested with the stuff, and I'm thinking probably 65 - 70%. So far the main perennial bed along the front of the house seems free of it, but it is in almost the entire yard, plus the veggie and herb beds! I pull bindweed every single day during the summer, so I feel your pain!!!

Treebarb, I bought some WOW's last year, but still haven't used them. The problem is that I decided to wintersow all of my tomatoes this year, and by the time they finally germinated, we were so close to the last frost date, that I didn't think it would be worth the effort to set them up ... maybe next year.

You know, Skybird, I had forgotten all about the pumpkins! This evening, my oldest son and I planted sunflowers down the outside of the fence in the empty lot. There might be enough space between them though ... hmmmm. Also, the cucumbers are planted right next to the onions, along the right side of the veggie bed, so when they start vining, I'll throw them overboard into the lot as well.

Bonnie

• jnfr
    14 years ago

I still have lots of weeding to do, but as of 8 am this morning I officially have my veggie beds fully planted. Go me!

• singcharlene
    14 years ago

It's beautiful, Bonnie! Thanks for sharing!

The Coppertina tiny start that you brought last year to the spring swap didn't make it for me :(

I've been a planting fool myself finishing up the perennial beds around the perimeter of the house. I want to add more grasses here and there but will wait until fall clearance sales for that.

• jaliranchr
    14 years ago

Looks terrific, Bonnie! Great job! :D

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022