Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highalttransplant

Shades of orange

highalttransplant
12 years ago

Finally starting to see some blooms in the garden. So far, mostly orange.

Here's Geum 'Fireball'

Poppy 'Double Tangerine Gem'

{{gwi:404430}}

Geum 'Mango Lasi' (The plants are smaller this year. I think that ant colony last summer almost did them in!)

Feel free to add your own bloomers to this thread : )

Bonnie

Comments (28)

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    12 years ago

Rosa 'Austrian Copper'

Dan

• gjcore
    12 years ago

I have a few things blooming:

Crimson Clover and White Dutch Clover

Columbines

A few chives

And a cosmos just starting to bloom

And last but not least a little patch of peas

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Cool looking rose, Dan!

Greg, if the clover growing in my lawn was as pretty as that Crimson clover, I'd be tempted to just let it take over : )

Your garden is way ahead of mine. My Columbines haven't started blooming yet, and my peas are just now sprouting. I do have chives blooming though. I forgot about them. Also starting to bloom in the herb bed is the sage. I think in another week or so, I'll have a lot more to show. Lots of buds forming out there.

• gjcore
    12 years ago

Unfortunately Crimson Clover is only hardy to zone 6. I'm not sure how much it will reseed. It sure is cool looking though and the bees love it.

• jnfr
    12 years ago

Nothing blooming here yet, but I love everyone's pics.

• xaroline
    12 years ago

Thanks for the inspirational pictures.
    Caroline

12 years ago

Digitalis obscura behind Dianthus x 'Firewitch'

Coleus spp in pots

BH makes little garden markers from polymer clay

BH was marking tree locations and got marking paint on her new shoes

If you squint hard, these colors turn to orange...frreals! ;o) I still have a couple daffies on Memorial Day, behind Penstemon 'Husker Red'.

Dan

• kvenkat
    12 years ago

I have been wanting some of the orange Geums for a couple years now. Once I get my new yard and garden figured out, I will get me some! Thanks for sharing!

The cup of white iceplant I got at the Swap last week is flowering. The only other blooming thing is my curry leaf plant which is 5 years old and this is the first time it has started to flower.

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kvenkat, I love my Geums, but be aware that they are not xeric. The ones I have were purchased online, though I've tried to start them from seed two or three times unsuccessfully. They'll germinate, and either die after planting out, or survive the first year, and not come back the next year. I'd love to have one of the red ones, like Mrs. Bradshaw, or Blazing Sunset.

Here is a picture taken this morning of Verbascum 'Copper Rose'

... and a close up of the blooms

{{gwi:404428}}

Bonnie

• billie_ladybug
    12 years ago

Dan - gotta know about that rose. I think I like your pics of it better. But a rose that does not smell very good up close? What is wrong with that picture? I guess we are going backwards in the breeding programs. Does not seem to be too to picky otherwise. Like the second links pick better.

Billie

Here is a link that might be useful: sunny gardens

• billie_ladybug
    12 years ago

Guess it would not let me post the second link.

Billie

Here is a link that might be useful: NC State University

12 years ago

Billie, the BH chose that rose. For 7-10 days it is speck-tack-yoo-lurr then it is simply there. I think the scent would be described as 'subtle'. The time of year it is spectacular (now) is still a time when not much is really going, so it fills a good hole. But if I were king of my own home ( ;o) ) and got to choose all the plants, I'd tuck that in somewhere so it would be covered in July-Aug. Great now.

Dan

• digit
    12 years ago

I was looking out the window thinking about what I could contribute to this thread & there was the very first Oriental poppy!
    {{gwi:1203953}}

I'm a little miffed with my neighbors about this flower. When I moved to this home, the poppies grew from the neighbor's backdoor, right across his sideyard, into my yard. (maybe a little too much, eh?)

New neighbor's husband put a gravel driveway right across that sideyard! These days, the neighbor's 2nd husband (Mr. 2-plant-species-in-the-yard, kbg & arborvitae), sprays round-up on any of the poppies that creep back towards their original home! I am in the poppy rescue business here!

Anyway, I was going to get a 2nd photo of my sherbert & cream tulips but the camera battery failed. Won't be any picture of them today (hail shredded the petals last night:-(.

Steve

• billie_ladybug
    12 years ago

Dan - this is the time that everything else is just coming in, as we all know and color now is a treasure. Even with deadheading it does not bloom again? I don't mind the early bloomer quality and think I would agree that I would put it behind something else later in the season (Maybe a pot?) Does it get rose hips?

As DH would say you are just well trained.

Billie

12 years ago

No re-bloom Billie. We don't touch it - no water, no pruning, no fert - well, pruning out dead canes but that's it, not a hybrid that needs attention and chemicals. There are some hips but we don't do anything with them and nowhere near the number of flowers, which usu last a day, but with this wind they don't make it to the evening.

Dan

12 years ago

Beautiful morning to walk around with the camera:

Sedum x 'Dragon's Blood'

Penstemon pinifolius

A better Digitalis obscura, much to be said for this plant - evergreen, lily-like lvs, xeric, no pests, interesting fls:

Cotinus coggygria 'Royal Purple'

Physocarpus opulifolius 'Coppertina', lots of interesting cultivars coming from the parent 'Diablo', this is one of them:

Dan

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Dan,

Your garden is a bit ahead of mine. I have the Physocarpus opulifolius 'Coppertina' too, but mine doesn't have any buds on it yet. I also have the Penstemon pinifolius, but they aren't blooming yet. Apparently, you and I have similar tastes, as I ALSO have Sedum 'Dragon's Blood'. Which brings me to your Digitalis obscura. The colors are perfect for my garden! Any chance you have some seeds to share?

Found another orange bloomer in my garden today ...

These California poppies are "popping" up ALL over my garden, even in the crowns of other plants. I love them though, so I only pull up the ones that I have to in order to keep them from taking over their neighbors.

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, obviously I wasn't paying enough attention as I walked through the garden this morning. After seeing your post Dan, I found this:

Those weren't there yesterday ... really : )

... and there are buds on the Penstemon pinifolius too

Okay, this isn't orange either, but just thought it looked cool. It's the beginning of a flower stalk.

Verbascum 'Southern Charm' about to make a run for it:

12 years ago

Bonnie, in my 'Kind of Blue' thread I erroneously thought skybird started this thread. Apologies. I'll collect seed from the Digitalis o. when it sets.

Dan

12 years ago

The day lent itself to pix, save for the first one:

Kiddus cutealanchei var 'Payne's Delight'

Berberis 'Rose Glow'

Heuchera spp.

Dan

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    12 years ago

What a cutie! Love the freckles. Hey, is that Cinderella's castle I spy in the background? I was thinking that ride looked familiar : )

• singcharlene
    12 years ago

Love the photos, thanks for sharing! I love the Geums, gorgeous!

Orange is one of my very favorite colors. I plant my porch containers in orange, lime green and burgundy. I also love orange and vibrant pink together.

Bonnie, did you make it to the spring swap this year? I did not. I was really sick. :(

Charlene

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's funny, Charlene, one of my containers on the porch is apricot, lime, and burgundy. I direct sowed them though, so the plants are only a couple of inches tall. Hopefully, they'll bloom before the summer is over, LOL.

No, I didn't make the swap. It was on a Sunday this year, and I play on the worship team at our church, so that doesn't work for me.

You should post pictures of your container plantings. I'd love to see them!

Bonnie

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay, I'll admit there is a lot of non-orange pics on this thread, but I'm going to get it back on track now : )

It doesn't get much more orange than this! Lilium 'Dwarf Orange Pixie', received at an RMG swap. Sorry I can't remember from who now.

Siberian Wallflower

Calendula 'Touch of Orange'

Another picture of Asclepias tuberosa 'Gay Butterflies', in orange this time.

{{gwi:404457}}

African Daisy

{{gwi:404463}}

Last, but not least, Hemerocallis 'Little Women'

Hope you enjoyed!

• mstywoods
    12 years ago

Some gorgous flowers posted here - but I think my favorite is Payne's Delight ;^) Dan: I also love your wife's garden markers - what a great idea!

Here are a couple of my oranges:

A peachy snapdragon:

Torch Lily/Hot Poker (I was so excited to see this available and growing here - they used to grow all over the place in Calif. and I really love the flowers!!):

and California Poppies (I finally had to resort to buying a small pot of these, because my seeds never took. But made one last attempt, and I'm seeing some seedlings now - maybe they needed the company of a "mother" plant!):

12 years ago

I had a huge Knifofia/Tritoma at the house in Sacto - 8x8' and dozens of spikes. I have two here that are mere shadows of what you get in CA. 'Payne's Delight' is my fave too!

Dan

• mstywoods
    12 years ago

Oh, I know - they bloomed like crazy all summer long, and were so prolific!!! I thought possibly the ones they have here were a different variety that grows smaller, but maybe not.

I enjoy them anyway, though :^)

• mstywoods
    12 years ago

My Persimmon day lily, that I got from Cat Ladys Garden at the fall swap, is in bloom:

I got several other day lilies from Cat Lady, but they aren't blooming quite yet. Can't wait, as they are all different colors!

Also, got a few more Hot Poker/Torch Lily blooms on one of my other plants - a lot bigger and more blooms than the other two plants, so maybe it's a different variety (don't remember) - or maybe this plant is just further along than the other two.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm