Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aloha2009

Bees

aloha2009
11 years ago

We are doing MAJOR xeriscaping. The walkways and patios will be the only place in the yard to walk or sit besides a little bit of grass in the front yard. Though I have a few shrubs to purchase, most everything will be with flowers in mind. I'm OK with bees buzzing since I know they have nectar on their minds and not me, but I'm beginning to wonder how others might react. For those that have a lot of blooming flowers around your walkways and patios, how prolific are the bees? Do you sense your guests get nervous? Anyway to divert bees temporarily during a party?

Comments (6)

• gjcore
    11 years ago

I never worry about bees, leave them alone, all is good however wasps are another story. Not so bad until about mid August when wasps go through a change in life and become scavengers.

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

When we moved in 2 years ago, we had HUGE wasp nests in our attic. We were able to eliminate them the first winter. I don't want those things back, so I don't want to plant anything that they especially like. Are there certain things I should be weary about?

• mstywoods
    11 years ago

I don't know about bees, but we always have problems with wasps. They especially like my front porch, which is south facing and very warm as well as near flowers and plants. Every year, I have to look out for them and either race them to the door, or get it shut it quickly before they get in. What a nuisance!! I usually resort to wasp sprays to get the nests they build in the corners, and/or the baited yellow jacket traps to try and catch them - but both are so messy, and I hate empting or throwing out the traps when they are full - yuck!!

Don't know whether you saw my thread awhile back or not, but I asked opinions on the fake wasp nests/decoys I've seen in stores or online. Well, I thought I'd try the concept by making my own out of recycled materials. I've had it hanging in a corner of my front porch for about a month - and I know you're not going to believe this, but I think it is actually working! On a couple of hot days, I noticed wasps buzzing about some of my flowers in the front bed, but they were not on the porch at all. We've had some windy and cooler days in that time, so I can't say I have 100% proof. I'm going to keep observing when I can, but so far it's looking helpful. I will be making a few more this summer if this positive effect continues .

Here's the thread about them: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/rmgard/msg0322035015808.html

Bees never seem to be a problem in our yard - I do see them in the flowers, but they seem content on staying busy with them and never seem to bother us. The ones they have in California where I used to live were very aggressive, so I am thankful these here are pretty docile!!

Interested to hear the others stories and advice on this as well.

Marj

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mstywoods, I actually responded to the post since at one time we had a ton of old nests.

I'm especially glad you responded that your decoy worked. It seemed kind of lame but I don't care as long as it works. I read the article about the paper bag working too. Since I have most of those supplies (no lunch bags), I think I'll try it.

Being that I don't currently have a problem though, I think I'm going to wait to at least see a few loitering. My front door is south too with a ton of flowers in the plans. I want my flowers w/o or minimizing the wasps.

• mstywoods
    11 years ago

Oops, sorry Aloha - didn't realize it was you who started this thread (looked at the content, not the poster name!).

Yea, the decoys do look lame - that's why I was hesitant to buy any. But if they work, more power to 'em!

Marj

• amester
    11 years ago

My front yard is all xeric perennials and a hotbed of bees.

No guests have ever mentioned it, although the occasional neighbor child will have to be reminded not to touch them.

We need the bees! Let 'em rip!!

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994