Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan_staley

Great, a scape.

First scape spotted on the garlic todaaaaaaaay...a 'Siberian' that somehow got left over from last year. The cooler temps and moisture sure are making the garden happy. All the spinach gets harvested in the next couple of days, as does the mizuna.

Dan

Comments (7)

• msfuzz
    13 years ago

I love, love, LOVE your puns, Dan. :D Thanks.

• jclepine
    13 years ago

So, Dan, do you eat the scape or...? I've always wondered about the scapes for sale at the farmers' market and if cutting the scape means the bulb has to be harvested? Does it hurt the bulb to cut the scape?

curious...

J

• elkwc
    13 years ago

Dan,
    I'm getting a few scapes now also. Overall my garlic is looking good. Can sure tell a difference between the first I planted and that I planted later. The warmer days here along with the rain has things jumping in the garden. The potatoes have grown 10-12 inches in the last few days. Hard to believe how fast they are growing.

Jcepine you can eat the scape if you desire. Many feel that removing the scape makes the bulb bigger. I've done it both ways and done a comparison by measuring and weighing each bulb. I've never seen any difference. Last year my biggest bulb was one I left the scape on. I only remove them if someone wants them too use. Jay

• david52 Zone 6
    13 years ago

If you really like garlic, make a 'pesto' out of scapes, olive oil, and a strong flavored cheese. Wonderful on toasted sandwiches.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Botanically, the idea is that you should remove scapes regardless so they don't take energy from the bulbs; I did the same thing Jay did with a section of ~10, and we thought overall the bulbs were smaller...I have friends who leave them on and report no difference. Regardless, the bonus is that you can use them in cooking. I showed the firstsecond-grader that scapes would be available soon and she wanted a shrimp stir-fry that moment. We have a friend who takes our extras for pesto.

Dan

• david52 Zone 6
    13 years ago

My daughter, when she was 3-4-ish, used to help me break them off out in the garden, and we'd be nibbling on them the whole time. When you take too big a nibble, you gasp for breath. Send her in to her mom for a bath, reeking of garlic. Such things we teach the youth of today.

Growing Music, I find that my bulbs are nearly 2X the size if I can remove the scape quickly - just as soon as the pale swelling comes up. The difference is pretty clear. My neighbor grows Spanish Rojo and leaves his scapes, says there isn't a noticeable difference.

• elkwc
    13 years ago

David,
    I'm growing Music this year. I will leave some and remove some. I don't have that many around here wanting scapes. So don't always remove them. But will on some of the Music to see if I see the difference. I experimented with about 8 varieties last year that had scapes. This year I have around 24 varieties. I wonder if the type of soil and the nutrient levels have any influence also. All my levels are very high proven by the annual soil test. In fact I haven't added manure in 2 years now trying to lower them some. I'm just wondering haven't read anything that backs that thought up. Jay