Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Speaking of weeds...

Posted by katgardener 5 (My Page) on
Wed, May 28, 14 at 17:05

I don't remember planting this, so I don't know if it's a weed or not. It has come back in a nice tidy globe for the last several years, showing no signs of spreading, and I'd really like to know what it is. It is in almost total shade and blooms almost all summer in loamyish soil with very little water. If I can ID it, I may want more! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Speaking of weeds...

I can't see enough in your pic to figure out what it is, Kat! It could conceivably be one of the short Campanulas, but I can't see the flowers clearly enough, and the leaves in the pic are definitely not Campanula leaves, so are those the same leaves on the plant that's blooming, or is that a separate plant that's growing into the blooming one? The leaves look very much like a Geranium, but those are definitely not Geranium flowers!

Is that pic posted from Picasa WebAlbums? Assuming it is, next time you post a pic check "hide album link" rather than "image only (no link)." That way I/we can click on the pic to pull it up in WebAlbums, and then we can click on the magnifier to get a BIG version of it. Not sure that would help in this case, but that can be very helpful sometimes! (Doing that will still not allow people access to the full album, just the one picture you link!)

Hope you and Picasa are getting along well together,
Skybird

o

Hi Skybird! Things are going better with Picasa. I got a book from the library called "Picasa for Seniors," but have been too busy planting to start looking at it. I may talk to you some more directly about Picasa...

The other leaves you see in the picture are winecups. (Callihroe involucrata). They do wonderfully in my yard. :) The two of them have grown together.

The photo is one I just took with my iiPhone. Hopefully you can see the leaves better, but it's still not really detailed enough. I'll have to figure out how to get my pics from my phone to Picasa, then post them that way. This is just nice and quick because I can take the pic, come back to my deck and wait for it to upload to my photo stream, then post it. :) it's so great just to be out here!
Kat

o

Looks like a Veronica. Can't recall the specific name. Hope this helps.
Suzanne

o

It looks like clustered bellflower mixed with some hardy geranium.

o

I just pulled one of the ones in the OP picture out of my driveway. It has the same very sharply indented leaves and flower.

I sure didn't plant it, and I don't have any logical explanation on how it got there unless its like all the other things sprouting in my driveway, like the tumble weeds, cheat grass, bind weed and …. I should get the hoe out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here