Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laura_42

Early Heat Wave

laura_42
14 years ago

It's been pretty hot for mid-May -- upper 80s to low 90s. I went on some errands this afternoon and when I came back, a few of my young "Crimson Queen" sunflowers had fainted dead away. Argh!

I gave them some shade and water, but am not too sure if they'll recover. We'll see...

Comments (7)

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

Yep, same thing here. My newly sprouted sunflowers were bent over this afternoon. I gave them a good drink, but I may have to resow. At least there's time to replant if you have any seeds left.

The grass isn't looking too good either ...

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    14 years ago

I haven't even planted my sunflowers yet, so I'm quite behind! I bought 30 Rocky Mountain Juniper seedlings and 50 lilac twigs from the CSU extention in April, all doing quite well. I had about 15 lilacs left over and potted them until I picked the right spot. I decided to plant them yesterday and they were quite droopy last night. They are back upright today. We are going to be doing some deep soaking for the next few days. Ah, springtime in the Rockies!

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    14 years ago

IÂm having a kind of opposite problem from you guys! I worked 6 days in a row, ending Saturday. Was home briefly overnite twice, and had to be sure everything was wet enough to last till I got back the next time, so I watered my four beautiful jumbo 6-paks of yellow marigolds and blue lobelia each time I was here! TOO MUCH! TheyÂre dead! Guess IÂll have to find something else to stick in my whisky barrels. The good news is that the lavender alyssum that was growing along the edge of my tomatoes last year has reseeded all over the place, so IÂll be able to dig up some of the seedlings to stick here, there, and everywhere!

I had a lot of in-ground things wilting yesterday, and the grass was getting crispy, so I deep watered EVERYTHING for the first time yesterday and today. Nothing looking wilty today! And nothing crispy! Just nice soft "barefoot" grass!

It looks like the heat wave here in the DEN area is gonna come to an abrupt end on Thursday, Laura. Back into the low 60's! I think it might feel good by then!

Welcome to RMG, Barb! When you get a chance, head on over to the WhoÂs Here in 2009 thread and tell us a little about yourself.

Skybird

• david52 Zone 6
    14 years ago

treebarb, 12 years ago, I did that soil conservation / CSU plant thing for a few years ago with lilacs, honeysuckle bushes, Scots Pine, and Green Ash. A couple of observations -

Their advice is really good re putting down weed barrier and the plant protectors. They will grow at least twice as fast, if not 4 X. It seems expensive at the time, but worth it, I think.

My lilacs are now 8 to 10 foot high, the same size as 50 year old plants.

• laura_42
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, miracle of miracles, the sprouts recovered. *whew!*

What's this about CSU Extension selling plants? I didn't know they did this.

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    14 years ago

Skybird, I will go to the Who's here thread next, thanks!
    David52, I did get the landscape barrier, problem is it's still in rolls, one of my projects for this weekend. I know you're supposed to put down the fabric first, then plant through it, but our ground is concrete is spots and I didn't want to cut holes in the fabric to dig. We tilled before planting, so the weeds aren't completely out of control........yet! I'm thrilled to hear of your success with it. I'm taking a lot of ribbing from my better half for my twigs. Laura, good news on the seedlings! I live near Fort Lupton, in farm country and this winter I got a flyer/order form from CSU. It's for people with acerage to plant wind breaks, erosion control, conservation plantings, that sort of thing. Their stipulation is that you need to have 2 acres of land to purchase, but it's the honor system. They don't check. I got on a mailing list of some kind, maybe from the assessor's office. You can call them for a order form at 303-491-8429. The trees are seedlings, twigs basically. You have to purchase lots of at least 30 potted evergreens and 50 for bareroot trees and shrubs. They grow about 2 million trees and shrubs a year. I went to a planting seminar in Feb. or March at CSU in Fort Collins. What a set up they have! They have a great selection but it's first come, first serve so if you decide to do it, get your order form in quick. I don't know if they do fall plantings, so you may have to wait until next spring.

• david52 Zone 6
    14 years ago

BTW, those Soil Conservation guys are also, hands down, the cheapest source of weed barrier and staples I've found. I use quite a bit of it in my vegetable garden and orchard. They don't mind at all if you buy it from them for other uses.