Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fall swap-where will it be?

Posted by chcolatedog (My Page) on
Wed, May 26, 10 at 18:25

I was wondering-where will the fall swap be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fall swap-where will it be?

• Posted by skybird z5, Denver, CO (My Page) on
    Wed, May 26, 10 at 18:46

Too early for any specific planning at this point, Chcolate! We'll probably start a thread with specifics in late July. But general plans would be to have the second swap of the year on the other end of town from the first, and two people have already expressed interest in possibly hosting it down that way, so plan on a location somewhere on the south side of the Metro area.

And the "when" would normally be late August or early September---just too early!

Skybird

o

I was wondering what normally is swapped in the fall. Is it mostly seeds or bulbs? I have never really tried to harvest seeds before, but I'll sure give it a whirl so I can share them with the group. May need some advice though :^)

o

Day lilies!! "Catladysgarden" usually brings TONS of day lilies and makes sure we take them home. Even if you think you've taken more than your share, she and her husband offer you more and then more!

And, lots of starts that might have been to tiny to dig up in spring are often nice-sized and established in pots, ready for trading.

Just so you all know, I plan on attending as long as it isn't August 20-30.

Jennifer

o

Seeds, bulbs, perennials, houseplants, small trees, etc. It's pretty much the same as in the spring but with way fewer vegetable starts.

Seed-saving is really easy for many things, mstywoods. Let us know what you'd like to save and we can walk you through it. Some plants are definitely easier than others.

o

considering ripping out a few rose bushes for the fall swap, if anyone is interested. Otherwise, may just rip & toss them... I know they won't be dormant by Aug-Sept, so there is a risk that they wouldn't make it...

Also, open to ideas for how to get them out if someone wants them? I can't imagine trying to bring a ginormous rootball...

o

I would love to host the fall swap this year if no one else has stepped forward.

If I hosted, my August is swamped so it would have to be in Sept. (the 4th or 11th).

I don't really want to think about September yet though LOL! It's been so cool I still need summer!

Here's to summer,

Charlene

o

Yay, then we can see the babies!

I think we've had it in September before...right?

I'm looking forward to it already. I know we aren't really thinking about it yet but, as an FYI, I'd be up for either date but might prefer the 11th.

Yeah, I'm not ready either because it has been very cool up here. Yesterday morning we even had some huge snow flakes come down!! Nothing even came close to sticking but the mountains got some powdery coverage.

I need warmth and sun, then I'll think about the swap.

Thanks, Charlene, for offering!

J.

o

i (and Polygonum) might be interested in some of the rose bushes, mayberrygardener

i am also (waiting &) hopeing summer will be SOON! ;^)

o

I'm interested in some rose bushes,so if you could bring some that would be great mayberrygardener.

and Skybird,when you find out when the fallswap is ,tell me.

chcolatedog

o

mayberrygardener, chocolatedog is with me and Polygonum, so probably just one or two (smallish) bushes will be fine with us ;^)

o

Count me in for the fall swap, so looking forward to it. Will try to bring some lilac starts. I am hoping for some raspberries.

gloria

o

We would be interested in the fall swap; it would be our first swap.

We have Iris, Day Lillies and tomatoes.

D Colo springs

o

I would love day lilies, and some iris (especially dark purple). I can most likely bring some light purple irises to swap, and maybe some others that have not bloomed yet so not sure of the color. If I can find out how to harvest Lilac seeds, or make some cuttings, I can bring some - we have a huge lilac bush in our back yard. I'd like also like to know how to start new Lilac plants for myself, so I can grow it in another portion of the yard.

I'll see what else I can bring as well!!

o

i would like some Lilac seeds (if you find out how ;^)

i would also like irises and Day Lilies

(i am with Chocolatedog and Plygonum Tinctorium so any thing that i or they request, it's just going into the 'family plot' sort of thing) ;^D

o

I googled how to harvest Lilac seeds, and looks like I missed being able to do that - should have done so before all the flowers dropped. But I did find info on how to make cuttings, and may be able to do that - although it sounds like this isn't always successful as there is only a small window of opportunity to do that (mid-June, apparently, is best). I'll try it though! I'll also see if I can find any suckers with roots that I can dig up and pot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here