Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardening_on_mars

Anyone growing a Linden Tree?

gardening_on_mars
20 years ago

Everything I've read about the Linden Tree makes me want one, including the quotation "Under the spreading Linden tree the village smithy stands." Is anyone growing this tree and having good luck with it?

Comments (44)

• cnetter
    20 years ago

About 10 or so years ago my neighbor, who has a large Linden, pulled up a seedling out of his garden and gave it to me. Now, the seedling is about 8 feet tall. It's a nice shape. Lindens do produce a lot of seeds, and seedlings. Their flowers are rather sickly sweet. I think there are seedless lindens, which might be a better option.

• gardening_on_mars
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Anything nice about the tree? Would you have planted it if your neighbor had not given it to you?

• plantladyco
    20 years ago

My neighbor has 3 and hates them--mostly because they shed constantly. I get a lot of the seeds in my yard and they sprout everywhere(mostly where I don't want them!)

• cnetter
    20 years ago

I would grow a seedless variety if I could find it. The tree grows in very nice shape and is hardy. But I really really like my red oak, if I had to pick a favorite tree.

• catladysgarden
    20 years ago

The Linden has a nice pyramidal shape, has fragrant small blossoms in the Spring and is a lovely shade tree. By the way, it was under a spreading chestnut that the village smitty stood.

• mtcrafter
    20 years ago

Lindens are great here. I have one in my front yard. It has flowers that smell great but sets no seeds. I got it at a nursery. No bugs, diseases, hardy and has made a very nice tree. It's also a great city tree, not messy and can survive pavement, heat, cold and exhaust fumes.

Ann

• julieinwyoming
    20 years ago

I planted a Little Leaf Linden and totally love it, it is thriving here in my pasture. If you're looking for a tree that can take dry conditions, this tree is it.

• Bloomingthings
    20 years ago

I have been searching nurseries looking for both the Linden Tree Tillia americana and the little leaf linden and can't find them. I live in central Wisconsin. I found a company on the web that sells the seeds. Has anyone tried starting them from seed?

• Istanbuljoy
    20 years ago

Linden trees are all over Turkey. The leaves are used for tea, but only as a cold remedy. It works too. Put a handful of the leaves in the pot of boiling water and let it steep. Then add some lemon and a touch of honey.

The trees are xeric. They have to be in Turkey it rains in the Spring and then you will not see rain until late August.

I would like to grow one here too. I would want the non suckering kind (if there is such). Aspens are enough to take care of.

• delray
    20 years ago

So is it Linden or Lindon? I guess those folks over at the BYU have some learnin to do, a few "Lindons" here...

Here is a link that might be useful: BYU tree tour

• delray
    20 years ago

oops, this is the link to the main tour page...

Here is a link that might be useful: BYU tree tour

• irina_co
    20 years ago

Hello there,

I am growing 2 American Linden (Tilia Americana) from seedlings in Denver. We had a beautiful tree in our old house. I picked 2 yearlings 5 years ago and planted them in a new place. One is 4 feet now, another 6 feet. The old tree had leaves to cover a dinner plate and flowers like silver dollar. I used to pick and dry these flowers for the herbal tea. Doesn't look that we'll have flowers any time soon. It is not a very fast growing tree.

Cheers

• Rosa
    20 years ago

We had a huge one in our yard in Manitou. Yes, definately messy but fragrant and the bees loved it. But it was the best shade tree!! What is the altitude limit of Tillia? Think it would survive at just over 8200'? Plantlady-would you considering sharing some seeds??

• gardening_on_mars
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Several people have mentioned Linden trees from the childhood, one friend said it grew outside her nursery and she remembers looking up into it. I'm finding mostly the small leafed variety at plant shops but have a place where the large leafed variety would work if I can find one.

• Walker_MT
    20 years ago

I'm looking out my office window at my neighbor's Linden tree. It's about as beautiful a tree as any can imagine. Must be about fifty years old. He had someone in a cherry picker shape the top this spring. Classic shape and regal.

• margi83301
    20 years ago

My Mom has two growing in her yard. A little leaf that is about 40 years old in the front..and it is beautiful, shaped well, smells wonderuful, etc. She planted a large leaf(or regular, probably)a few years ago. It is quick to grow, however, in my opinion, not as nice as the little leafed variety. And, neither of them produced shoots or suckers. Could that just be the southern Idaho volcanic soil?
    I would love to have a little leaf variety. My husband is partial to maples.

• kimeta
    20 years ago

I just bought a tilia tomentosa, I fell inlove at first sight when I saw them lining the Unter Den Linden in Berlin, (a fabulous boulevard) it´s young yet, only about 10 ft. but beautiful, I just read here that they don´t need much water, but do the roots spread a lot or need depth? P.S I live in the outskirts of Madrid

• Lizzym
    20 years ago

In 2001 during a horrible heat wave we planted a tilia tomentosa "sterling silver" and it survived, and also thrived. In its 3rd year, slow growth, but holding up well in this drought and heat. Love the way the leaves are bicolored, green on one side, silver on the other, so lovely in a breeze. Am giving it extra water until next year to get it established. In the past had two eNORmous tilias in a rental that seem to always be messy and shedding something during each season, but the smell was heavenly and the shade was dense, so we just lived with the mess. Am hoping this new one will be a tad easier for clean up.

• John_Paul_Sanborn
    20 years ago

Has anyone information on acid soak and straitfication durations?

All I can find so far is that both will improve germination but not get it over 60%

• Chris_CO
    20 years ago

There have been some favorable references to the fragrance of Linden's but this isn't a universal feeling. Make sure you like the fragrance before planting. We have one in our front yard and the fragrance fills the house at times, my wife absolutely hates the smell. She'd cut it down to be rid of it except it's our only shade on our south side...

• mobius
    20 years ago

I put in a little leaf linden 3 years ago and the only trouble I've had with it is sun scorch - During the winter, the bark froze too fast and damaged the south side of it. It's just coming out of it now but this is one tough tree. It survived the heavy snowstorm in the spring and is still here. Be sure to wrap the tree (if it's young) for the first few winters as our sun can be scorching. I picked if for the shade and the wonderful smell. And it is suppsed to do very well here in Colorado.
    tina

• argosy57
    19 years ago

I'm in Denver and we have a Linden. I am just HOPING that it is a seedless/podless type, because it is right next to our aquatic pond. It did get flowers, but no seedpods this year, which is year #3. Can I assume it won't EVER have seedpods? I don't know the technical name for it because it was planted before I moved in. I just know it is a Linden.

• Moonfairy
    19 years ago

Does anyone have any rooted suckers of a linden or quaking aspen that they would sell to me?

• china1940
    17 years ago

I have a little leaf linden and love it, but it is probably only 8 years old or so. This year I have seen more different butterflys on it, than i have ever seen. I think last year was the first year we had noticable fragrance, it was faint.
    Does anyone know where I can buy the European Linden? Are they sold in the US? thanks

• somersetnative
    17 years ago

We live in Turkey and when we moved into our home late last Summer, we planted a Linden sapling. A few weeks later, our neighbour lit a bonfire and the wind blew the flames which then scorched the top of the tree. In addition, we knew nothing about the Winter floods in this town! At times the water raged through our garden and one night it uprooted the little tree. It stayed uprooted for a couple of days whilst the mess was cleared. We thought it was sure to have died, but to give it a chance, we replanted it in another area of the garden. To our amazement, come Spring it sprouted leaves. Those leaves, however, have now turned brown, despite the tree being watered daily with tlc. It is, of course, very hot and dry here and we're not expecting rain for another month or so. My husband and I are complete novices with regard to trees (and gardening in general!) and would welcome advice as to why this has happened and also if the tree is likely to survive. The trunk is certainly larger than it was, which I guess means that it is growning.

• bpgreen
    17 years ago

If you're watering a tree every day, you may be killing it with kindness. Since it was transplanted, it was probably a good idea to water daily for a short time, but then you should have cut back to every other day, then twice a week, then once a week. The following year (or maybe later the same year if it can handle it) cut back to watering once every two weeks. Once it is established, water only once a month. When you do water, you should water deeply at various points around the dripline (where water would drip down off the outside leaves).

• candygill
    17 years ago

We planted one last year. We don't mind all the leaves,etc. because they are full of nitrogen.
    When it blooms, it has a lovely fragrance.
    We are happy with the tree.
    They are growing all over along the streets in the town of St. Jovite (near where we live). It's a great shade tree
    Candy

• cdn_girl
    16 years ago

We have a huge Linden tree in front of our house. It is about 22 years old and has a lovely pyramid shape. However, at this time of year it drops some kind of stickly goo which does not easily come off our cars even in the car wash. Our neighbor has a Linden as well, but his has a goregous smell, which ours does not. Can anyone tell me why ours does not produce the lovely fragrance, yet does produce the unpleasant gunk? Thanks!

• china1940
    15 years ago

Our 8 or 9 year old Linden was full this year, and smelled perfumy, but for those of you who don't care for it. It only has fragrance a week or 10 days, which is disappointing. I have a little leaf linden near the house, it is probably 20 feet tall and full by now. I planted a big leaf linden at the back of my back yard 3 years ago, it was a whip and hasn't done much yet. I have never seen any seed sprouts from our linden near the house, but we mow often. We do get the flowers and seed pods, but unless our tree is too young, have not had sprouts. And we really haven't had a messy yard yet. Maybe that comes Later??? It does sucker at base of tree every year and I have to cut those off. We purchased our trees from two different nurseries. The little leaf was potted (Not B&B) and the other was just a whip.

• rcali
    13 years ago

I planted a Redmond Linden about 2 years ago. It was about 10ft tall and had about 4 limbs on it. It is getting bigger but is not at a fast pace. I have a pond about 10ft away from it and I am hoping one day the roots will find it and it will sprout from there.

How many years does it take for the tree get to a point where it actually starts to really grow and shade?
    Thanks

• highalttransplant
    13 years ago

I planted a Little Leaf Linden in the fall of '06. It didn't seem to grow at all the past three years, but this summer, I noticed it is finally starting to look fuller, and maybe a bit taller.

After we planted it, I decided to put in a veggie bed on that same side of the yard, maybe 15' away, so now I'm not in a hurry for it to get big, since it might create too much shade for the tomatoes and peppers.

Bonnie

• david52 Zone 6
    13 years ago

I dunno if its a universal phenomenon, but for me, it takes a tree two summers to get its roots established, and then the third summer, it starts to grow the way it *should*. It doesn't seem to matter if its bare root or potted or how big it is when I plant it.

• jonesy5960
    8 years ago

I have this tree on my parkway and would cut it down tomorrow if the village would let me. Sheds leaves and pods all summer. Horrible mess constantly. If you care for a well manicured lawn DON'T PLANT THIS TREE! !

• Christie Eklund
    8 years ago

My neighbor has a Linden tree and unfortunately a lot of it hangs over into our yard. It is such a messy tree ! it belongs in a pasture so that it doesn't make a mess for everyone that didn't want one. My opinion is that they are a nasty tree!

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago

The Greenspire or Little Leaf Linden Tilia cordata is a fine tree for the front range. Great shape, no major disease or insect issues and has fragrant flowers with only a small seed. With the bronze ash borer heading our way and the amount of ash trees we have here on the front range and now not being able to sell ash at all, I see the Linden as an up and coming tree. There are however, MANY mature Linden all along the front range. There are other Linden species as well. American Linden (Tilia americana) are much bigger trees and not as suitable for the smaller home landscape. I am using Linden much more now that ash is not available.

• Lizyliz Best
    8 years ago

Huge, fast growing (in 8 years tripled in size; 8' when I moved in, now 30'+-), beautiful shade tree in height not in width, especially for West side of two story houses. Heavy white flowers in the Spring (I didn't care for the scent), little pea size pods, and measy some years more than others.

Central Denver

• mayberrygardener
    8 years ago

we have a large linden tree in our front yard. They are known for their naturally attractive shape without needing to be pruned to that shape. I personally love ours (ask me again in a couple years, tho) because it drops all of the flowers right when I need mulch for the garden to help control weeds, and then it drops tons of leaves again in the fall to put the garden beds... well, to bed! for the winter. When in bloom, the flowers have a wonderfully sweet smell, almost like candy; I happen to really enjoy their fragrance, but it can be pretty strong (wasn't this year; I'm guessing due to late freezes and/or too much rain)

• misscourtnie23
    6 years ago

I have one in my backyard. I believe it's a tilia cordata or the little leaf kind. It's about 14 years old and is about 35 feet tall. The previous owners planted it too close to the fence. It looks like it got overwatered and tried to pull itself out of the dirt. The roots are terrible. They are pulling up the fence. We recently redid the sod and irrigation in our backyard. The roots from that tree spread about 30+ feet out from the base and were killing the grass. It's a beautiful tree but not something to plant on a small plot in the city. When the fence gets a little worse, it will have to be taken out along with the fence because it's on both mine and the neighbor's property now. It does produce a lot of shade and would be beautiful in a yard with grass that doesn't need much sunlight.

• Jenna Weidener
    5 years ago

All lindens or basswoods except for the European species (T. tomentosa) are a favorite food of Japanese beetles. Just be aware, Denver.

• HU-231159165
    4 years ago

I live in Niagara Falls Canada and have lived in our home 33 years with an American Linden planted but the city when the subdivision was built. Perfect size and great shade do not make up for the awful mess it makes every single day of the year. I could rake my yard daily for the twigs that fall even in dead of winter. I cannot use a leaf sucker as they clog it every 30 seconds. The seeds, flowers and everything else that fall from the tree from June to September keep my yard, sidewalk, driveway, cars, garden and yard a complete mess. I would love to get rid of this tree. Our neighbours on either side of us have lost their lindens in storms and were so happy to see the tree gone. They chose other trees to replace. Now they just curse at mine.

• ruth shaw
    3 years ago

You can eat the whole thing so I’d give it space - the nuts make good coffee, flowers tea for insomnia, leaves make salad or flour, inner bark edible.

• Claude Waver
    3 years ago

at what stage does a linden tree produce flowers? Grown from a sapling

• Carol Flood
    last year

DO NOT plant one of these!!! I have one and it is so messy! They attract Japanese Beetles and the beetles eat the leaves and leave a skeleton of veins. Leaves fall and cover your yard all through summer and fall. It has a loose canopy. I can trim off low hanging branches that I can't walk under, then the next year I get a whole new low hanging canopy. My tree is big and would be expensive to remove, wish I could be rid of it!!!