Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gjcore

The last frost is going to be one of these days

gjcore
13 years ago

Mother's day has come and gone and it's still too early to transplant the frost intolerant plants. Well I did sneak out a few geraniums which I'll be needing to cover up somehow this week.

Years past it seemed I could get a few things out on the 1st and quite a few on the 8th. It seems this year it's going to be closer to the 20th.

I was even replanting some peppers and tomatoes today. All well a couple weeks will pass quickly (hopefully).

Comments (8)

• felix-grow
    13 years ago

Your climate must be very much like it is here in Salt Lake City. I recently retired and moved here from the Middle East. Love the peace and quit, but the cold is something else. I put some tomatoes out in a water barrier, don't know if you have heard of that. I am wondering if it is going to work

• msfuzz
    13 years ago

This weather is ridiculous. Every time I think it's "safe" to plant stuff, along comes 2 more nights of freeze. *sigh*

• mstywoods
    13 years ago

We planted quite a few vegetable plants on Sunday, but only because we got 5 gallon buckets to cover them while they are so small should it freeze or hail. Needless to say, I just got them all covered in prep for tonight and tomorrow!! Sure hope they make it all right!

A few of my iris just opened their buds this weekend and they look so pretty. I hope the storm doesn't ruin them. I'm debating whether to go ahead and snip them off and put them in a vase to enjoy inside instead. Do you think the blooms will survive the weather outside?

• highalttransplant
    13 years ago

Tomatoes are in the garage ... again. Along with all of the pots of wintersown annuals that were on the porch. The peas, lettuce, carrots, and radishes are on their own this time. Hoping that the apple blossoms survive this time.

I am going on vacation at the end of the month, and need to get everything in the ground before then, so that it gets irrigated. Someone will be housesitting for us, but they are not a gardener, and I'm afraid to count on them watering a bunch of containers of sprouts. With the weather we've been having though, I'm not making a lot of progress ...

Bonnie

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    13 years ago

felix-grow,
    If you are talking about Walls of Water, they may be called something else, too. They are flexible teepee-like plastic cones with individual tubes you fill with water, let warm in the sun, then put over your tomato or any other plants you need to protect. Yes, they work great! If you are using them you don't have to worry about this storm, except if any of your plants are tall enough that the tops are out of the structure. If they are, use Kenny's bucket over the top and rock on top of the bucket tip. Check some of the older threads for WOW (walls of water). Dan posted some pics of his.
    This is a frustrating spring to be sure. Let's keep our fingers crossed that this is the end of freezing nights till October!

• colokid
    13 years ago

This will be my 81st spring in Colorado and they all ways seem to be pretty much the same. That's the reason I built the little green house, but I did not count on high winds EVERY day.
    I would not bet on this week being the last frost.
    The way this year is going, there could be another yet to come.
    I sure hope not though, Kenny

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

I'm with kid. Altho I'm not a native.

The news yesterday had the BH on to explain to people how to cover their plants, apparently people need reminding every year. They had film from last year, trees had many more leaves and the snow on May 10th last year broke more branches because of the leaf-out. All the marginally tender went under hoops and cloth, not that cold and the potatoes should be OK (speaking of which, I need to raise my hoops and hill them up for the last time already!).

Dan

• david52 Zone 6
    13 years ago

We seemed to have dodged the worst of it - yet another windy, cold dust storm yesterday, but the snow and rain and all that went north of us. 24º this morning.