Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
soil testing

Posted by steviewonder CO (My Page) on
Thu, May 23, 13 at 19:33

Hey there,
I'm wondering about doing some soil testing here and there in my yard. I don't want to go through the extension service because I think the different areas of my garden have been treated pretty differently and I don't want to pay for multiple tests. Has anyone had any luck with the little soil testing gadgets out there? How about the capsule method? Not sure which is more accurate. Thanks for any input,
Steviewonder

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: soil testing

I've never heard of a home test that is particularly accurate or reliable. What you can do is add compost to the questionable areas. Compost is the great equalizer.

o
RE: soil testing

You can take soil samples, put them in a straight sided jar of water, and get a rough estimate based on how it settles out. Sand on the bottom, silt, then clay on top. Takes a few days, but you can do it for several different areas.

But the extension in Logan can do more specific chemical analysis. I had very saline soil - typical here, with a lot of phosphate - probably the previous owner's overuse of artificial fertilizers. They also gave me advice on how to amend. Probably worth sending a sample for problem areas.

Here is a link that might be useful: soil test

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here