Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
polygonum_tinctorium

Thank you!

We had a wonderful time at the plant swap, as usual!

Mayberrygardener, thank you for hosting. Thank you to everyone for their wonderful food, plants, and company.

We ended up with a lot more tomatoes than we expected, yum! About the only one we aren't trying is Cherokee Purple, because we thought we already had one. Alas, we did not, so we will have to console ourselves with the zillions of other yummy varieties we did get. Thank you to everyone for generously sharing your extra starts.

Some things are already in the ground, with more to go in over the next few weeks as the weather warms up.

We look forward to seeing everyone again in the fall. If people want to get together for some informal plant sharing before then, please send a message and let's see what we can do.

We'd be interested in getting recipes for the food served today, if people are willing to share those. We can send the butter mochi recipe to anyone who is interested. Provogirl posted it to the forum a few years ago after she brought it to a plant swap, but a few characters are a bit messed up.

Thank you again!

Comments (14)

• luckybottom
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh yes, what a glorious day. The weather was as perfect as our host's and their yard. Can not wait to see what it looks like once it has been Daniized for a few more months.

LOVE LOVE LOVE all the plants we got home with. What a great bunch of friends we have found.

• mstywoods
    9 years ago

Great swap - lovely to see familiar as well as new faces!!

We need to start a recipe thread! Kvenkat - I love your pineapple w/a hint of rum jelly that I grabbed in one of my turns!! Very yummy indeed. Would definitely love your recipe, if it's not too secret =)

I'll be planting my newbie plants tomorrow.

• mayberrygardener
    9 years ago

Hats off to the weather--we've been blowing and rain for an hour or so now, and I'm just so glad that we weren't dealing with that earlier, as it would have been just a tad crowded in the garage! Instead of dealing with rain, I actually got a little sunburn!

Always, ALWAYS, thanks so much for all the wonderful company, food, and of course, plants! It's always so much fun, and with all due respect, I haven't planted a single thing yet! It has been very much our pleasure to host, and we look forward to maybe hosting again in a few years when you all can come and ooh and ahh over all the improvements that we've made!

Thanks to Skybird for bringing the namebadges, sign-in sheet, numbers to draw, and some loose guidelines--we're barely controlled chaos without it! Also, special thanks to Luckybottom for getting me started with the lists and holding my hand through all the getting everybody on the same page! Bonnie, we still need to have that glass of wine!

Special thanks to all those who brought earmarked goodies, and the special goodies that you brought because we hosted (TOTALLY not necessary, but very much appreciated!). I LOVE the caramels, and nope, I am NOT going to be sharing them! The spiced blueberry jam will be tried on Sunday morning's toast, and the rose is currently trying to decide where it will be planted (yes, we're going to plant it--otherwise, I KNOW I'll kill it, and it's too pretty for that!), and Skybird, all my special goodies WILL be finding homes tomorrow, as will the carrot seed tapes. Thanks for making it so easy for me to finally get some carrots planted, Bonnie!

Recipes, recipes: I would love that orzo salad recipe, and Bonnie and Terry, your goulash recipe? :D

This post was edited by mayberrygardener on Sat, May 24, 14 at 22:38

• iluvamaranth2014
    9 years ago

This was my first plant swap and what a glorious event it was! Thank you, Mayberry for welcoming us into your home. It was a pleasure to meet everyone. I can't thank you all enough for your generosity and kindness, I got to take home so many lovely plants. Can't wait to meet you all again at the fall swap if not sooner on other occasions.
    I brought the orzo salad, it was nice to see so many of you enjoyed it. Do we start a separate thread for the recipes or start posting in this thread?

Cheers,
    S

• vlselz
    9 years ago

It was my first swap today and I do have to say why havent I gone to these before?? I will repeat Thank you all SO much for your generosity, from our host to those who brought everything else ;). This is the first event of I hope many more wonderful times to come....Thanks again. What a busy weekend I have planned with planting!!!

Veronica

• vlselz
    9 years ago

It was my first swap today and I do have to say why havent I gone to these before?? I will repeat Thank you all SO much for your generosity, from our host to those who brought everything else ;). This is the first event of I hope many more wonderful times to come....Thanks again. What a busy weekend I have planned with planting!!!

Veronica

• garnergarden
    9 years ago

Sorry we didn't make it to the swap! We were running so behind that by the time we would have arrived, everyone would have been gone :(. However, I would still like to thank everyone for hosting, organizing, etc, because it sounds like everyone really appreciated the effort. So glad folks had a good time. We will for sure make the next one. Take care everyone!

• catnohat
    9 years ago

Thank you Mayberry for hosting! And of course thanks everyone for sharing your plants. I came home and planted 8 tomatoes! 5 in the ground and 3 in pots. Flowers and herbs go in the next couple days. I didn't plan on having 8 tomatoes but I couldn't decide which ones to try! There are still a couple that didn't make the cut. Maybe next year....

Thanks again,
    ~Cat

• ZachS. z5 Platteville, Colorado
    9 years ago

I too apologize for not making it, got tied up doing a bunch of crap around here racing against the weather and then we had a storm dump a couple inches of hail on us with a tornado (actually just a funnel cloud). So, while I probably would have been home in time, it is possibly for the best I stayed put to try and protect everything I could.

But as everyone has said, thanks to Mayberry for being so generous as to invite me (and everyone else) to your home and everyone else for making it such a success, even though I was unable to partake in the fun. I will try my very best to attend next spring (I know there is a fall swap but, I'll have nothing to offer in the fall) hopefully, the good Lord willing, I wont be so dam busy that weekend!

• ginnytrcka
    9 years ago

Had a great time at the swap! So kind of Mayberry to open their home to us all. Thank you!

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    9 years ago

Thank you, Mayberry, for hosting another fun and successful swap! Your yard, and house, were absolutely perfect for the swap! And, oh, how I envy you your big yard! I hope we’re able to come back sometime in the future to see what you decide to do with all your space! Maybe you can eventually fill it all up with swap plants! :-)

Thank you, everyone, who brought such great plants to share! And thank you everyone for bringing such great food--a lot of it homemade this time--for everyone to sample and enjoy! I second--or third, or fourth--the motion for folks to post recipes, and I see LuckyBottom has already started a recipe thread for that, so, thank you Lucky!

Thank you again, Cat (with a C and no hat!) for taking care of my plants while I was gone--or I would have had none to bring!

Time to start thinking about stuff to bring to the next one!!!
    Skybird

I didn’t get as many pictures as I’ve taken at some of the past swaps, but here are my pics! If anyone else took pics with their phones or something, please come share them.

Spring Swap - 2014

Meet and greet ............

Garden tour!

Chicken tour!

............ and eat!

[I left out the closeup butt shot--for those of you who know what I'm talking about!!! ;-D]

The plants and the swapping!

Concentration!

Decisions, decisions!

• katgardener
    9 years ago

Better late than never, but I also would like to extend my thanks! It was great to meet so many of you, even if I still have trouble putting faces and names to "garden names". Arriving home, I realized how many plants (perennials on my part!!) that I could have brought. So many are great for dividing right now, so if anyone is willing to make the trek all the way down to the Springs, I'd be happy to share what I have. I have at least one Black Knight Blue Mist coming up along with sterile catmint and yellow/green Iris Pallida begging to be divided. I. I also have some of the Lemon Queen Heliantus as well as thread leaf red penstemon, Zagreb Coreopsis (also thread leaf) and a lot of volunteer winecups (Callirohe I nvolucrata or poppy mallow) volunteers. Once I become more proficient at Picasa, I'll post some more pictures. The one here is my Iris Pallida - you can see how much they need dividing

• ZachS. z5 Platteville, Colorado
    9 years ago

It's too bad I'm not down in the Springs once a month any more, I'd take some that iris off your hands. Every once in a while I go down to Ft. Carson though, if I head down that way this summer at all, I'll get ahold of you.

• terriob
    9 years ago

Sorry I am so late in saying THANK YOU to Mayberry for hosting. I had a great time and met some wonderful people. I planted the Lilac bush and yellow rose...so hopefully I can get them to both grow. Never had much luck, but you can't beat the price! :-) Thanks again.