Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sorie6

hibiscus

sorie6 zone 6b
12 years ago

I got a perennial hibiscus for my birthday today and would like to know where and how to plant it.There were no directions with it.

tag says hibics jazzberry jam. Welby gardens.

Any suggestions would be great . TIA.

Comments (8)

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    12 years ago

BIG plant! Needs a place with lots of room and lots of sun--full sun to mostly sun. It'll come up VERY late in spring, mine haven't even put in an appearance yet, and will grow very fast once it gets started. Plant it the same depth it is in the pot, preferably in something besides really heavy clay. Individual flowers only last a day or two---but there are always more for a couple months.

I got three with the house, and it's a shorter variety than the one you have! I suspect they're in some pretty bad clay, and I've never fed them.

Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Jazzberry Jam'

12 years ago

Forgot this!

Happy birthday!

Skybird

• dsieber
    12 years ago

Skybird nice plant. We to have good luck with plants that look like yours (we dug it up from the high desert of CA). We also have over 4 years experince with a double yellow traditional Hibisus that we yank and put in our garage over winter. A nice plant for the deck.

• sorie6 zone 6b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Skybird! I knew you would have an answer for me!
    I've got to change the place where I was going to plant it!!
    Also thanks for the birthday wish.

• aloha2009
    12 years ago

Happy belated B'day!

We just bought a hibiscus last night too. Good luck with yours. I think the sunny location was important. Last house we wanted bad enough but had so much shade. It was still pretty but just not that many flower or the staying power. Isn't getting plants for gifts the best!

• david52 Zone 6
    12 years ago

I once saw a catalog advertisement for a large blossomed, sky blue flowered hibiscus that was hardy to zone 5. Does anyone have any idea what that one is called?

Around the border, I have several dozen Rose of Sharon (an hibiscus), that I propagated from one mother plant about 10 years ago. Some years, they are spectacular. But at best, there is only a few weeks worth of bloom in the fall, and the flowers are a lot smaller. I'm looking for something with larger blooms.

12 years ago

Uh, I think that one is called 'Imagination', David!

All the hardy perennial hibiscus, Hibiscus moscheutos, I know of are white, pink, red, or some combination of those colors. When you posted I wondered if there was some new variety that had come out since I left the green industry--over ten years now--so I googled blue hibiscus! As I expected I would, I came up with 'Blue River II', but that's a WHITE flower! Also came up with 'Blue Satin'---but that's a Rose of Sharon, Hibiscus syriacus, and, like most "blue" flowers, it's really lavender! Also came up with a tropical called 'Cajun Blue'---but that's lavender too--and definitely not hardy! The tropicals do get into the yellows and oranges---but no blue--regardless of what they've named it! Found a reference to a Blue Hibiscus on hibiscus.org: "...is neither "blue" nor a "hibiscus." It's an Alyogyne huegelii! Getting WAY off into, for me, uncharged territory in Tropicals Land! And it's lavender!

Found some photoshopped pics! And found some very poor photos that were blue!

If someone were ever able to hybridize a truly blue hibiscus, they'd be able to live the rest of their life in the Lap of Luxury!

I do wonder what you saw! My guess would be it was an ad for the 'Blue Satin'---with a VERY misleading photo!

If you ever find it again, let me know what it is,
    Skybird

• david52 Zone 6
    12 years ago

Thanks, Skybird, for all the research. Now that I think of it, the catalog might well have been one of those "Instant Flowering Hedge for only $3.99" ones.