Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant potatoes between squash?

Posted by Bob_In_Colorado 5 (My Page) on
Sat, May 18, 13 at 20:07

Garden space is at a premium. I'm sure everyone knows this. I only have about 800 sq/ft.

I have a good sized square devoted to squash plants. I'm thinking about planting my potatoes in between the rows of 3x3 grid squash. The squash plants get big, the potatoes get really tall. I doubt one will shade out the other.

What do you guys and guyettes think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant potatoes between squash?

What kind of squash?

o

Butternut, 8-ball, spaghetti, zucchini, Italian zucchini, yellow crookneck, pumpkins and baby pumpkins

o

I think you'd be ok with the zucchini and crookneck, they're usually bushy vs vining, and don't get too monstrous. Butternut, it would depend on the variety - the small-fruited ones are relatively tame plants.

But pumpkins, or any of the big, vining winter squash, no. They take over everything, and their leaves will grow taller and taller to take out the competition.

I haven't grown 8-ball.

o

Thanks David

o

I plant squash between the cabbage, Bob.

That is, I make a 2nd planting of summer squash between early cabbage plants. The cabbage can be taken out in mid-July and the squash will grow and produce about the 1st of September.

You have given me some ideas! My potatoes always seem to be early varieties. I like 'em! So, I begin harvesting about the 1st of August. Could I . . . might I . . . would I be crazy to . . ? What if the early cabbage was harvested and quick-maturing potatoes went in? Would they be good neighbors to the summer squash and make a crop by September?

The squash would have a week or so lead on the potatoes but the cabbage kind of "suppress" the squash until they are out of the way. I'd have to do some shopping for sprouting spuds in early July. Hmmm. . . .

Steve

o

I think I'm going to try planting one row between my squashes. They are in a 12'x12' area, each in about a 3'x3' area. My potatoes grew very tall last year and the squashi are growing from seed.

The potatoes are German Butterball, so they're smaller anyways.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here