Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to plant cucumbers?

Posted by walterbyrd Colorado (My Page) on
Sat, May 25, 13 at 21:20

I bought a few pots of cucumber plants. There were about six plants, growing together, in a pot. I was told to pull the plants apart, and plant each separately in a mound. I did that, and they all died.

I planted tomatoes, at the same time, and my tomatoes are fine.

What happened?

Is it too late to plant new cucumbers?

Would I be better off using seeds? It would sure be cheaper.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to plant cucumbers?

• Posted by gjcore 5 South Aurora Co. (My Page) on
    Sat, May 25, 13 at 21:36

I would purchase seeds for cucumbers. Now is a good time to sow them. Probably would've have been better to cut 5 of the 6 plants with scissors and planted the remaining one or just planted the 6 of them and hope for the best. Not sure why nurseries have starter plants like that.

o

My cucumber plants have a similar problem even direct sown. The leaves look like they get scalded, dry up and die. Any ideas?

o

Wind would be a thought. I know my peppers look sad. Not dead yet but very sad. The hope is that they have put down good roots and will bounce back. Anything that has some kind of wind protection is doing good.

o

Cucumbers are nearly as sensitive to cold as melons. And no, they don't transplant all that well altho' that is what I've been doing for the last 4 or 5 years.

Really, there isn't a whole lot of good reasons to set out cucumber starts - sown only a couple weeks before in 4 or 6 packs. Unlike melons, they are not harvested "ripe" and probably benefit little from a real early start.

With the kind of weather they like, cukes are capable of growing quickly and producing lots of nice green fruit. Setting them out too early is risky and, even if they survive, may just retard their growth.

Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here