Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What do I put on top of garden fabric?

Posted by walterbyrd Colorado (My Page) on
Sat, May 25, 13 at 21:34

I am planting tomatoes, mostly.

I am trying to weeds down.

I put this garden fabric around the plants. It's supposed to let water pass though, and keep weeds from growing up.

I put a little dirt on top of the fabric, just to keep it from blowing away.

Should I totally cover the fabric with dirt? Or should I use mulch? Or something else? If mulch, what kind?

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What do I put on top of garden fabric?

• Posted by gjcore 5 South Aurora Co. (My Page) on
    Sat, May 25, 13 at 21:45

It's tempting to use landscape fabric but I've found that it's kind of a pain in the vegetable garden. It gets buried by mulch or soil and then roots may start growing from your plants above the fabric which will probably die. Going forward it needs to be removed and it's always a pain.

If you want to keep down weeds the old fashioned hoe works well. If you want to use a barrier I'd recommend wet newspaper several layers thick and cover that with mulch such as straw.

o
RE: What do I put on top of garden fabric?

I use that same weed barrier between my beds and up the sides - I leave a few inches around the stems. You just need to keep it from blowing around. I use metal staples, rocks to hold it down.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here