Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ekimrepeel

Hardiblue blueberry

ekimrepeel
17 years ago

Help! Somebody gave my 10-year-old daughter a "Hardiblue blueberry" as a gift. I'm willing to put it in the ground, but know nothing about its growth habits, etc. We live in central Denver; flowerbeds are irrigated 3X week. Can somebody give me information about what sort of microclime, water, expected size & output, etc. Any advice would be MOST welcome!

TIA,

Mike

Comments (10)

• david52 Zone 6
    17 years ago

Blueberry needs the kind of conditions that are pretty much the anti-thesis of what is here, as in it needs an acidic swamp. I've been trying for years to grow some in a plot that I dug out, filled with peat moss, and water heavily. Last winter was too dry, so I had considerable die back.

I have heard, but not tried, that they do very well here in containers, as its easier to maintain the soil environment that they like. So I'd suggest buying the largish plastic containers at the big-box stores, fill with peat moss, and water with one of those acidic loving fertilizers. They are heavy feeders.

• ekimrepeel
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for your observations, David. Strangely enough, my property used to be swamp before I-25 was built, and the soil is remarkably fertile. And while my ginseng dried up, the golden seal is thriving, albeit in a very shady spot.

Growing it in a container is a great idea, as then I can keep water on it on a regular basis through the winter. Also, I can mix good stuff into my Colorado clay to ensure it's draining well. Thanks for the tips.

How big is your berry bush?

• david52 Zone 6
    17 years ago

A have 5 of them in a strip between the house and a side walk, where I amended the soil. They are now 4 years old, and the biggest they have gotten is about 2 feet high, which isn't anywhere near what they should be. After this past winter, they are looking pretty scraggly indeed, and about a foot high. I will likely transplant them into containers sometime this year.

re swamps, I have a beautiful cattail swamp on my place that yields up wonderful soil, only issue is that it is white, once it dries out, with accumulated salts. I have irrigation water and live on a slope, so I can dig this up in the winter, cart it up hill, and flush out enough of the salt so that it works. But not for blueberries, though. They want a pH of 5 to 6.

• jant
    17 years ago

Hi...I wouldn't put it ANY clay....this is the ultimate acidic plant as mentioned. I lived in Denver 26 yrs but just moved back to MA 2 yrs ago. They thrive in our soil and moisture (can't have tooo much!)but the birds get to them before we do, lol. I'd strictly put it in a large container with potting soil and peat moss, use Miracid fertilizer and put a net over it supported by a trellis or stake to keep critters and birds away from it. If it works for you, maybe try overwintering in a garage. Oh, I'd put the pot in a tray or container of water too.....it grows like a weed next to lakes and ponds.

• ekimrepeel
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks to you all for your handy tips. Sounds indeed more like a patio plant than one for the yard. Said daughter did a science project this spring on pH so this ought to make an interesting extension to that whole chapter. I'll post back with the results...

Thanks again,
    Mike

• gauge
    17 years ago

I just recently bought a Haryblue Blueberry plant, which I assume is the same thing. On the tag it says "Vigorous, upright, very productive, and quick to establish. Berries are medium-sized and very sweet. They ripen early-midseason." Also from an internet nursery "A very sweet, medium sized berry with superior flavor. Heavy yielding in midsummer. Widely adapted, especially tolerant of heavy clay soil. Yellow fall color. Zone 4 - 8"

Personally I have six blueberries planted in a equal combination of peat moss and garden soil, half in pots and half in the ground. Because of the tolerance of clay soil comment you may be able to get away with a combination of half soil and half peat moss (if you have it you may even want to add some sand for drainage). Assumming your soil pH is currently neutral around 7 the peat moss has a pH of around 4 it averages out to about 5.5. Be sure to thouroughly wet the peat moss before mixing with soil otherwise it may end up drawing moisture away from your plant. I found it was easiest to fill a planting pot with peatmoss, add water, and let the water drain out the bottom.

Regarding watering they like to have about an inch of water per week, and a little more for the period following planting. Output will be greatest after about 3-4 years and you will likely need to start pruning soon after this to maintain yields (search google for pruning info). According to some reading I have done on the forums at gardenweb output can vary between 5-20 pounds. They will produce best in full sun and require at least 6 hours of sunlight. They can grow up to 5-6 feet high and have a similar spread. Height and spread can be controlled with pruning.

Some sites recommend having two varieties for cross-pollination but from what I understand this is a greater issue for Rabbiteye variety blueberries than Highbush varieties which the Hardyblue Blueberry is. Hope this info helps.

• flitsabout2_iw_net
    17 years ago

You could have some problems with the rabbiteye as the are a southern highbush variety and grow best in zoneYs 6-9. They are heat, drought, and disease resistant. They are self pollunating but you will yield larger more abundant fruit with atleast one more variety. They require pH of 4.5-5.5 moist but not wet soil well drained soil. to plant in the ground dig a hole 1ft deep and 2 ft wide, fill will peat, water the hole and wait about a week and then test the soil. If it looks good plant the bush in mid to late October. Test your soil again in the mid spring. If needed add some type of sulfur fertilzer to raise the acidity (lower pH) Do not Lime to raise pH. Blues hate lime!
    For container plantings use a half wiskey barrel size container. Fill it with 70% peat, 15% compost, and 15% pine needles or chips and fertilize with MiracleGrow's miracid every 14 days.
    If you bush starts to yellow check that your pH is correct. Your best bet to save the bush is to fix the problem as quickly as possible.
    Mulch your bushes with no less than 2 inches to help maintain moisture and protect against frost root damage.
    Blues do well in garderns and are quite attractive. I grow mine in southwestern, Minnesota where they shouldn't and they are great in borders and can make for a stunning landscaping piece!

Here is a link that might be useful: blueberry thrills

• drlucas
    15 years ago

ANYONE have any UPDates on Colorado Blueberries. HOW are they doing?? I am considering using my area between my driveway and Fence. 2'x15' and grow 5 or 6 plants. I just was wondering if anyone had any luck with all the 2006 postings??

• david52 Zone 6
    15 years ago

Well, not so good. Even the ones I put in containers all died this past winter.

So I'd say that over 8 years, $150 in soil amendments / 10 plants / containers and so on, total harvest was, maybe 2 pints.

And I really tried.

• milehighgirl
    15 years ago

After a visit to Oregon I decided to try bluberries too, but I think I'll try Saskatoon berries instead. I found a good website for growing blueberries here, and I may try the container idea that they suggest:
    http://www.specialtycrops.colostate.edu/scp_exp_demo/blueberries.htm

But another CSU extension web page suggested Saskatoon berries and it looks easier to me.
    http://www.ext.colostate.edu/ptlk/1213.html