Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
singcharlene

Darn Rabbits!

singcharlene
13 years ago

So this is totally my fault, but still! Those darn rabbits!

The stuff I winter sowed back in February was growing so well in the containers (foil lasagna pans with lids) and I wanted to plant them out this week. So I took off the tops of the containers on the East side of the house to acclimate them to morning sun before I set them out in full sun in the garden.

Cabbage (white & red), brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, broccoli rabe, bok choy, onions, turnips, kale, and swiss chard...

Gone, gone, gone!!! Eaten down to nothing by the rabbits!

On the bright side, at least I already planted out spinach, arugula, and various lettuce varieties.

I was hoping to share much of this at the Spring Swap but that's not gonna happen now. :(

Ugh. Thanks for letting me vent. Lesson learned. ;p

Charlene

Comments (11)

• jclepine
    13 years ago

Ugg!! Well, at least you might find some replacements at the swap. Too bad though and how frustrating!

I don't even know if we have rabbits up here. I guess so...

Maybe I'll put a little shield of wire fence around the veggie plot. I was going to use one for the dogs but rabbits would be able to get right through what I have.

I hope you get lots of starts to replace the eaten ones.

J

• greenbean08_gw
    13 years ago

I've got I think 6 extra broccoli and I may have some tiny little cauliflower (I've got to check that jug- it got planted late and I've been gone for a week) if you'd like them. I'm planning to be at the swap this weekend.

• digit
    13 years ago

We have all got 'em, J.

The Mountain Cottontail (Sylvilagus nuttallii), "This species is confined to the inter mountain area of North America. It ranges from just above the Canadian border south to Arizona and New Mexico, and from the foothills of the eastern slopes of the Rocky Mountains and west to the eastern slopes of the Cascade-Sierra Nevada Range."

http://www.iucnredlist.org/apps/redlist/details/41300/0

Sorry, Charlene!

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: defining RMG by fauna

• xray
    13 years ago

Perhaps you should bring hasenpfeffer instead ;)

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

We use blood meal to keep them away. Yesterday one burrowed by the garage and I dumped some blood meal in there and haven't seen hide nor hare of it since. ;o)~

Dan

• mstywoods
    13 years ago

Thanks for the tip on using blood meal! Not sure if rabbits is what got our Sunflowers, but I know that I have seen bunnies hopping around the neighborhood. I'll pick some up and put it around just in case. How often do you have to use it for it to be effective?

• laura_42
    13 years ago

Oh no!

I haven't seen many bunnies in our neighborhood so far this spring, but I'm sure they're working on raising a bumper crop for summer...

• easternco_gardener
    13 years ago

We have them all over the place out here. And they are utterly brazen about hopping right up to the patio. I've put the strawberry pot full of plants up on a wrought iron table to try to keep it out of the way of the rabbits and the seven-striped ground squirrels. Most of the herbs are inaccessible to them (and the rabbits don't seem to like them anyway). I saw one take a nibble on the tarragon, turn tail and leave. It doesn't look as if he's been back since.

I'm sorry to hear about the carnage. Personally, I just wish that I could actually grow something out here in the wind-swept boonies. Other than weeds.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

I have a perennial Helianthus out front that the rabbits like which has a little fence around it now. You have to re-do blood meal after rain, otherwise we find 2-3 weeks and its still good.

Dan

• upat3again
    13 years ago

Sorry to hear about your loss(es)!

I don't have a huge quantity of bunnies around (just wait... they breed like... well... rabbits!), but I've seen a few. I also recently saw a weasel! Hurraayy! I need all the help I can get from the the weasel.

Here's things that I'm trying this year:
    1. choosing bunny resistant plants
    2. using a spray that has a "bittering" agent in it (Bittrix)on the ornamentals. (I'm using "This-One-Works")
    3. using blood meal (also good for N fertilizer)
    4. using chicken wire that's buried 6" and is 2' tall on the vegi garden
    5. I just ordered a kite that looks like a peregrine falcon. If I keep moving it around I think they'll at least get wary! I keep watching for the UPS truck!
    6. I also have 2 cats that love to torment furry critters.

Nothing like using many different things to see what works! I'm also dealing with Moose, elk, deer, ground squirrels, tree squirrels, raccoons, and mice. I've got some ideas, but I'm always open to try almost anything, so I would love suggestions!

Here's some failures/limited successes:

1. bar soap (the moose/deer love to move it around)
    2. egg/garlic/pepper based repellents
    3. human hair
    4. dog... he's a great companion and "chaser", but not much of a hunter ;-) He seems to be insulted when the cats outdo him!

So far, the fence(s), choice of plants, bittering agent and cats seem to work the best. The cats have their issues, but I can deal with them better than the bunnies!

• foxes_garden
    13 years ago

I've got a rabbit fence around the main veggie garden, and I'm starting to realize I'll have to put in something similar for any other veggies. (My original veggie garden area is starting to be pretty shady due to trees maturing, so I'd like to move some vegetables to the sunshine.) So far I have not had the rabbits bother plants in planters on the deck, but those are mostly herbs, which they probably don't like.

Maybe I'll try the blood meal in the areas that I don't want to put a fence.

It looks like a bumper crop of bunnies out there this year. I can't go out my door without seeing three of them. There's a fox in the neighborhood, and I wish a few more would move in. None of the neighborhood dogs seem to catch the bunnies, and most of the neighbors keep their cats indoors.