Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jclepine

Does it matter how high up my yard is???

jclepine
14 years ago

If a plant is listed as a certain zone, how do I know if it will work at high altitude?

So many of the plants I look at are listed as only going up to 8000 feet, but I'm at 8250. Does that matter?

We like it up here and are not planning on going anywhere, so, I'm trying to plan for next year's garden and have a few ideas but I don't know if they will work.

For example, I'm interested in:

Rhododendrons 'America', 'Calsap', 'Hong Kong', 'Ramapo' or others that are hardy up to -20F.

Cotoneaster acutifolius, C. microphyllus or C. divaricatus.

Cornus alba, C. canadensis or C. sanguinea.

I'd love to try an apple, maybe akane or braeburn but especially spitzenberg.

But, how do I know if they will work up here? Cold, dry, flutuating temps, how do they affect the success of a plant?

I have tons of other ideas, too, but these are the things I want to try next year.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thank you,

J

Comments (5)

• david52 Zone 6
    14 years ago

I dunno how much 'zone' has to do with a lot of ornamentals - the temperature doesn't seem to be that much of a problem, but it is far more a question of really dry, as in arid, winters and dry wind in the spring. We've posted before about plants like Thuja 'Green Giant' just drying up and dying, most species of hydrangea won't work, and I have some "Cardinal Bush" wegalia that really struggle, and may get the yank this summer some time since they died back 90% this past winter, which wasn't all that severe.

Now apple trees might work. They do so higher in altitude than here. I have a Spitzenberg in my orchard, now in its 8th year, and this year, haleluja, I got fruit.

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    14 years ago

Hi Jennifer,

IÂve always thought some of the cotoneasters were pretty tough things, and I was curious, so I googled "cotoneaster at high altitude" and came up with some pretty good sites. One article in WikiBooks says:

"The majority of species are shrubs from 0.5-5 m tall, varying from ground-hugging prostrate plants to erect shrubs; a few, notably C. frigidus, are small trees up to 15 m tall and 75 cm trunk diameter. The prostrate species are mostly alpine plants growing at high altitude (e.g. C. integrifolius, which grows at 3000-4000 m in the Himalaya), while the larger species occur in scrub and woodland gaps at lower altitudes."

4000 meters is over 13,000 feet!

Here are copy/paste links to some good info that may help you in the future.

High Altitude Evergreen Shrubs
    http://www.denverplants.com/hialt/eshrub.htm

High Altitude Deciduous Shrubs
    http://www.denverplants.com/hialt/dshrub.htm

And hereÂs another list I found listing shrubs by altitude
    http://denver.yourhub.com/Evergreen/Stories/Home-Garden/Story~318807.aspx

I also checked my Western Garden Book, and both your Cotton-Easter :-)  acutifolius, Peking Cotoneaster, and your Cornus albus are shown as Sunset zone 1, which is the coldest zone they have and includes places like Leadville!

I think youÂre way out of luck with the rhododendron, but if you want to check it out further, check with Kelly at Timberline some day (call before you come all the way down to be sure heÂs there, itÂs Kelly GrummonsÂtell him I sent you!!!). If anybody knows if thereÂs one that will grow in Nederland, he will!

Since you get a lot of snow out there, I think you could grow more of the things that are shown for lower altitudes if theyÂre gonna be put in a place where you usually get all winter snow cover. Remember, when things are buried in snow, the temp never gets below 32 for them.

I do think you might have some trouble with the dry winds, but so would everybody else out here, so I say, go for it! And I donÂt think the difference between 8000 and 8250 would make any differenceÂespecially since you donÂt positively know just exactly how high you areÂand since micro climates can vary so much, at any altitude.

If youÂre ever wondering about specific altitudes for perennials, I have a list showing altitudes up to 10,000' for perennials, so just ask if youÂre wondering about something specific. If youÂre ever over at PaulinoÂs, ask at the "front desk" for a copy of the perennial high altitude list and see if they can still find it and if theyÂll make a copy for you. We used to keep those things with us outside and hand them out when I was there, but I donÂt know whatÂs happened in the last many years! (If John SmithÂyeah, reallyÂis at the desk, heÂll know what youÂre talking about!)

And if you donÂt already have a copy of the Western Garden Book, itÂs a GREAT reference, and I highly recommend getting one. ItÂs...

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

Unless you replace your soil, you're going to have issues with rhodies, and keeping them moist in the wind. And I second Sunset, which is the first thing I reach for. It'll tell you what others will be problematic.

Dan

• jclepine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you both!!

Now, digit, did your spitzenberg give apples just this one year??? Or, has it been producing all along? Frankly, I'd be happy with just the blossoms.

And, oh wow, it can get so dry and windy that I'm amazed I haven't turned into a lizard yet! This spring is damp, damp, damp! But, it only takes a day with wind or two days of just sun to dry it all up.

Skybird, I have the sunset book which is where I found the species that work in lower temps! I had to buy it for one of my classes at some point. But, it has zero high altitude references.

I am going to go to Timberline!!!! I looked it up on google and right there they have a "garden tips from Kelly" link! So, that must be the right place...in Arvada?

I might just need to expand my shopping area. I often buy in Boulder at a local place downtown-ish that has altitude signs on their plants. They have told me before not to bother with certain plants that are "labeled up to 8000". Well, I have tried some and so far, so good. I tried Lavandula angustifolia 'Munstead' and one lived, one died. Well, the one that died was peed on ALL winter by the dogs. No idea what all-consuming passion drove them to go on that one, poor plant!!

I did think about the snow cover being helpful but this winter was so odd with January and February having our snow melt off!!! That hasn't happened since we've been here. I'm not sure what the weather is like because we've only been here three winters now.

I do think it would be helpful to go ask the experts who know what the different areas are like and who have heard reports back from customers about what did or did not work.

I had thought it would be helpful to ask other gardeners around here...but they never seem to know as much as I do. I'm not bragging! They just all seem to go by trial and error.

Thanks a bunch!!!

• jclepine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

And, by Digit, I meant David!!!

:)

Dan,
    I think we were posting at the same time. Thanks for your response!
    I do not plan on replacing the soil as I only amend as I go. Renting was going to slow me down but I decided in '07 that I would not let it stop me! I aint replacing the soil though!
    I do think that we have some drainage due to all the rocks. But, it is clay and rock and I'm not sure that is a good combination.
    I still want one! I've never seen one up here and I'm pretty sure I've never even seen one in Boulder. That might be a bad sign!
    With the wire fence, no wind is blocked and no area is protected. Now, if I planted on the other side of the neighbors' house, well, that might work!
    J.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting