Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Big ol' weeds identification please?

Posted by littlegreenhaus Denver (My Page) on
Wed, May 14, 14 at 22:38

Cattledog included for scale! Any idea what they huge weeds are? These are after we attempted round-up (hoping it would make pulling 'em easier since they're spiny/pokey/stabby and STRONG). There's two types that I see, both with thick stalks that look almost veggie-like. They sprung up in about 2-3 weeks.

Here's some more photos...

http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag294/hellowyellowmellowjellow/photo27_zps91a321d8.jpg

http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag294/hellowyellowmellowjellow/photo24_zps326436a3.jpg

http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag294/hellowyellowmellowjellow/photo25_zpsd8a864c3.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Big ol' weeds identification please?

The photo posted above is some sort of dock: I would identify it as curly dock -- except that I've never lived in your area and have no idea if other, similar-looking docks might grow there. Here's curly dock (Rumex crispus):
http://www.cas.vanderbilt.edu/bioimages/species/frame/rucr.htm

As far as "almost veggie-like" goes, you will find claims online that the North American Rumex species are edible. I cannot vouch for that, and have never attempted to eat any.

The plant with the carroty foliage is something else. I can't say exactly what it is, but it is definitely not dock.

The plant in the last photo is something that is neither the dock nor the carroty-foliaged thing. It looks like it's been stomped on, and you say you used Roundup; since it doesn't look like it normally would, it's more difficult to identify. Certainly I can't tell you what it might be.

If you don't get an authoritative answer here, post photos of uninjured plants on the Name That Plant forum, and the gurus will doubtless identify them quickly.

o

• Posted by ZachS z5 Littleton, CO (My Page) on
    Thu, May 15, 14 at 9:28

Photo 1:

Could possibly be hemlock, so don't eat it. But, there is plenty of look alikes to poison hemlock, so, don't freak out until you've verified it yourself (but don't eat it either). However, I live right up next to a greenbelt and it is pretty common around my house.

Photo 2:

I have a hard time telling since it's all mangled.

Photo 3/attached image:

I agree, dock (Rumex spp.). Can be edible, but I wouldn't just starting eating weeds out of the lawn until I'm absolutely sure of what it is. Some dock is edible, like curly dock, but, the leaves of it's more famous cousin, rhubarb are not.

o

Thank you! I won't be eating any of them, but this will help me cater my attack plan :)

o

• Posted by ZachS z5 Littleton, CO (My Page) on
    Thu, May 15, 14 at 13:44

I would make sure to wear gloves and wash my hands thoroughly after handling the one that looks like hemlock. Even if it is, its probably an over precaution and I'm just being alarmist, but, that stuff has a pretty scary reputation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here