Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potatoes -- too late?

Posted by blueiris24 (My Page) on
Sun, May 2, 10 at 22:39

Is it too late to start potatoes? If not, what variety would you recommend?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potatoes -- too late?

I think you've still got time to get them in, but don't wait long. I tried several kinds last year and I had the best success with Red Pontiac. I'm also a fan of Purple Majesty.

o

Hi Iris,

The way I grow them, its never too late to put them in. Last year I put in the first batch on April 8 and harvested them on August 6. Then I put in a second batch on August 28 and harvested them on October 20. This year I put the first batch in on March 18 and covered them with maple leaves to protect them from a couple snow storms while they started to grow. When I uncovered them a couple weeks later they were up and getting started well. I love the tiny ones anyway, so this year Im not gonna wait so long to harvest the first batch, and I hope to get THREE batches in! Ive only started growing potatoes in the last couple years, and Im sure there will be people who disagree with this, but from what Ive seen you can plant them just about any timeunless its TOO late, and winter happens!

And, speaking of winter! I already harvested my first potato crop for this year! Just like last year, when I was "rearranging" my compost pile, I found a potato that had been growing out there all winterwithout foliage, and this is what I got!

The biggest are only abut the size of a quarter, but, hey, they grew in WINTERsans foliage!

Bury them deep, in good soil (mine are in half finished compost), wait a few monthsand enjoy!

Skybird

o

I was away over the weekend and got some frostbite on some leaves. As above, I wouldn't wait long.

Dan

o

Perhaps, no matter how late you wait - be sure that the potato seed is sprouting.

First of all, there's the mistake that so many folks make with using spuds from the supermarket. They are so likely to have been treated with a sprout suppressant.

Second, I tried planting potatoes near the end of July a couple years ago. They didn't look the least interested in growing when I put them in and waited until the following spring to show up above ground.

Steve

o

Iris,
Not knowing for sure you climate it is hard to say. I will attach a link with lots of good info. Another factor is the variety and maturity time. And whether you desire large spuds or smaller ones. A rule of thumb I use is not to plant much later than 3 months before the average date of the first frost. If you only want small spuds then you can plant a little later. Here I use July 10-15th as my last planting dates. So unless you are where you have an awful short growing season you should be fine. Jay

Here is a link that might be useful: Ronniger's

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here