Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shared hostas

Posted by popmama z5 CO (My Page) on
Sun, May 25, 14 at 22:43

For anyone who got hostas from me in the Fall swap, I'd sure love to see how they are doing now.

If anyone has any to share, I'm particularly looking for some green/white varieties.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shared hostas

Popmama - I have one green/white variety, but it's still a bit small to share (well, IMO - I'm also waiting for it to get a grow a bit more so I can divide it and place some in another spot). But maybe next spring or fall I'll be able to share some.

I do have some Pulmonaria that is similar and a great companion to hosta, in that it is a shade lover, somewhat similar foliage (although smaller), and stays in a clump. I brought some to the spring swap, but am sure I can bring some for you to the fall swap if you want some.

Here's the info and a pic:

Dark Vadar or Gaelic Magic.

pulmonaria/lungwort

o

My three hostas from the swap are doing great! I will try to post photos (bites nails).... :)
I have a green/white that sends up about three leaves every year. Won't get bigger, won't die! I'll work on cultivating it this year for you, though, I'd love to see it thrive but just never made it a priority.
Keep an eye out at Home Depot (yes, I said it!) - they often do hostas 3/$10 and since they guarantee the plants for a year you have nothing to lose. :)

o

Thanks Amester. Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you. I was out of town. I'm so happy to hear the ones you got last year are doing well. I'd love to see a picture.

I'd be thrilled with your propagation plan. I will also check Home Depot again.

One of my hostas, a big blue one, had babies this year. Well, that's how I see it. I've never seen it do this before. But it has about 6 small plants around it. I'm planning to let them get bigger then probably dig them up for the Fall swap.

o

I strongly advise against buying hosta at the big box stores and even some nurseries unless you know who the grower is that supplies them. Many of the hosta I bought at Lowes and Home Depot were infected with HVX which is a hosta disease that will disfigure a hosta. It's also contagious if any cutting is done (like the scapes) and then transferred to other hosta. I'm a recent transplant from Illinois where it's widely known about - and in the Midwest because hosta are very popular there - many hosta clubs, etc. You can get lots of info about HVX on the hosta forum. Also the American Hosta Society.

Westy1941

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here