Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree ID

Posted by JimR36 5a (My Page) on
Fri, May 17, 13 at 23:10

I was curious if anyone might be able to identify a tree. I've included a picture, but wish I could have added another showing more than just leaves and flowers.

It seems to be a common landscape tree in Fort Collins. It has a relatively smooth bark, and the branches start out sort of twisted from the central core. It's blooming now with white petals and a yellow center. Very fragrant, and seeming to set off allergy problems. Bees like the flowers.

Later in the year (by September, but probably starting earlier) the leaves turn a dark dull purple.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree ID

By the way, someone said it might be some type of dogwood.

o

Chokecherry (Prunus virginiana).

o

Thanks for the help. That's an interesting tree, i.e one I've read about recently. And I had some jelly, made in Colorado, featuring the fruit.

I also meant to point out that it has some weird insects on it. They look like scale bugs of some kind. Rather large - up to about 1/3" - sort of snowy white (but dark too), and dome-shaped, stuck to the tree twigs. I'm not sure if they can do damage on a large scale.

o

Thanks for the help. That's an interesting tree, i.e one I've read about recently. And I had some jelly, made in Colorado, featuring the fruit.

I also meant to point out that it has some weird insects on it. They look like scale bugs of some kind. Rather large - up to about 1/3" - sort of snowy white (but dark too), and dome-shaped, stuck to the tree twigs. I'm not sure if they can do damage on a large scale.

o

Could be a Canada Flowering Cherry.

o

Chokecherries usually have flower clusters in a drupe. Many blossoms in a long cluster. All cherry trees are susceptible to scale. My Nanking Cherries had them bad 2 years ago and I cut them to the ground. If you catch them in time you can treat with dormant oil. Once they attach regular insecticides don't penetrate so you have to smother. Your local Extension office should be able to id especailly if you can take in a flowering cluster of flowers and some of the scale.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here