Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
back_eddy

Introduction

back_eddy
11 years ago

Hey folks,

Back Eddy here, how you doin'?

I've been gardening here on the Front Range of N. Colorado for a few years now, mainly playing catch up. My place is on top of a glacial deposit, so we don't have a ton of loamy soil - mainly rocks. I 'tilled a section, 10x48' and hauled away all of the rocks. Then I made several trips to Resource for used 2x12s and build two 4x48' rows of raised beds. A few trips to Pioneer and I was gardening.

Since then, I've built a 3 pile compost system (buying dirt gets expensive...) and have been making a go of it ever since.

I've had mixed results. Some really great carrot crops, some pretty decent results with beets and tomatoes. Also, I have had a few spectacular failures. I'm working to institute a sustainable rotation plan, as well as getting that compost heap working for me. Also - this year I am putting a few of those sections into "fallow" growing cover crops - Jerry's Sping Oats and Hairy Vetch, for now.

I hope to learn from your experiences, share my own, and generally be a part of the community.

Your loyal rock gardener,

-Eddy

Comments (3)