Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What plants to you mulch?

Posted by blueiris24 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 6, 11 at 0:41

What plants do you regularly keep mulch on and how much mulch? Any favorite type of mulch?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What plants to you mulch?

Are you wondering about any particular type of plants? I use small bark mulch around all my perennials, and grass clippings around all my veggies. Everything I have is mulched with something--to conserve moisture and to keep the surface of the soil soft enough that the water will soak in more than run off.

Skybird

o

The entire yard save for hardscape and turf is mulched. I use the free wood chips from the city. The veggies have a straw mat mulch.

Dan

o

• Posted by gjcore 5 South Aurora Co. (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 6, 11 at 9:16

So far this year I've been mulching with tree leaves and cuttings from the clover. I'm also experimenting with using clovers as a living mulch around the melons, winter squash and in the new bed which has a variety of vegetables.

o

I have mulched my paths in the perennials but bad experiences with mulch in the veggies have kept me from using it there - with one exception. Besides, I would need an 18-wheeler load to mulch all the veggie ground.

The exception in the veggies is the potato patch. But, I want to tell you, my worse experience with mulch was trying to grow potatoes under hay -- the voles got under that hay and absolutely destroyed my potato crop!

So, why do I mulch potatoes these days?? Well, I don't put it on too early, don't put it on too deep, and I need to put something on - I figure.

Potatoes really should be hilled and semi-decomposed compost is a good choice to move onto them. I will be doing that this week! First a little organic fertilizer, then as much compost as I think will do the job of keeping the tubers from sun damage.

. . . just what I do.

Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here