Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
You are invited to Open Garden

Posted by catladysgarden z5 CO (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 18, 08 at 7:30

Hello RMG Friends,
Our 12th Annual Open Garden will be on Saturday July 12th from 8am until 4pm. The garden is an American Hemerocallis Society Display Garden with more than 4,000 daylily cultivars for your viewing pleasure plus many other perennials.
We are located at 15643 East 35th Place in Aurora, Colorado.That's near I-70 and Chambers Rd (exit 283). From I-70, turn south on Chambers Road. Right at the bottom of the bridge that goes over I-70, there is a traffic light. That's 38th Ave. There is a Burger King and a Diamond Shamrock Station. Turn east on 38th and go to Helena St., 1 block. Turn right on Helena and go to 35th Place. Turn left and you will find us on the left hand side of the street. We have 2 large Ham Radio towers on the property that you can see as soon as you enter the neighborhood. The garden surrounds those towers.
When we bought the property in 1982, it looked like what you'll see across the street, a field of weeds. It's still a work in progress. Everything there, we planted ourselves and some of the trees nearly planted us. It's been fun to watch everything grow up.

I hope lots of the Colorado folks can come. We usually have visitors from Wyoming and Kansas as well.

Let me know if you plan to be there. I'll look forward to meeting you if we haven't already met at one of the plant swaps. Refreshments will be served. If you need additional information, you can reach us at 303 366-9689.

Karen and Glenn

Here is a link that might be useful: The Cat Lady's Garden

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: You are invited to Open Garden

Wow, wow and wow - I've never seen so many gorgeous daylilies at a time. Your display garden is fantastic. I got 4 daylilies (Amanda's Intrigue and Elizabeth's Magic for my daughters, and Parisian Panache and Medici Palace for fun) and 2 irises (Steppin Little & Let's Boogie). There were so many more I wanted to bring home with me. Maybe next time.

I do have one quick question though, do I need to harden them off or can they go straight in the ground?

cheers!

Dafy

o

I had an absolutely amazing time at your garden, Karen. THANK YOU for being such a gracious host and what a great service to the AHS region 9 members. It is so incredible to see that many daylilies blooming in real life. Yes some lovelies went home with me today too :)

Here is a cross post to the daylily forum for the first installment of photographs I took today....just amazing stuff.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cat Lady's Garden visit post

o

Thanks to all of our Garden Web friends who attended our Open Garden yesterday. It was so nice to see you. We are so glad that you could make it and that you enjoyed yourselves.

I took this coming week off as vacation from work. If any of you couldn't come yesterday, but want to see the garden, give us a call. We'll do our best to accomodate you.

Our bloom season is about 2 weeks behind schedule due to a colder than normal Spring. The bud count out there is phenomenal. In the next couple of weeks, we'll have thousands of blossoms open.

Karen and Glenn

o

Here is installment 2 of my photo's of Karen's daylilies...

enjoy....

Here is a link that might be useful: Cat Lady's Garden visit post 2

o

Here is installment 3 photos....several more installments to go.

Just imagine these are only a tiny fraction of the variety Karen has.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cat Lady's Garden visit post 3

o

Here is my final post of photos from Karen's gardens.

Thank you again Karen for allowing us to visit your lovely (and weed free!) gardens, especially nice for those of us with the daylily addiction who don't have room to grow our own 4000 varieties!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cat Lady's Garden visit post 4

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here