Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gjmancini

Hail damage

gjmancini
14 years ago

My roses have taken a terrible hit with last weekends storm, as well as my veggies. Tomatos and beans destroyed, (maybe 1 or 2 plants salvageable. Putting french drains in as we have had terrible basment floods since April. Such unusual weather. Popies are looking beautiful, they were the only thing that wasnt damaged. Imagine that.

Comments (6)

• david52 Zone 6
    14 years ago

Don't give up on the tomatoes. If Once the weather warms up, they can come back from the roots and you'll still get a decent crop. Beans, not so much, probably easier to replant.

For the roses, I'd look at the canes - if they're badly damaged, then prune them off to prevent disease.

Sorry - hail is awful and discouraging.

• digit
    14 years ago

I have very little experience with hail but just wanted to share something about mega-damage to veggies. Severe thunder storms don't seem to build (if that's the right word) a great deal over land that is only about 300 miles from ocean water. Hail happens but not often, here. Now watch, we will have another of our near-tornadoes after having said that . . .

The damage case involved broccoli and rabbits. Several years ago, about 30 plants had literally every leaf chewed. The rabbits did a real number on all of them.

I went out to the garden and "hugged" my broccoli. While I was hugging them, I put a good dose of organic fertilizer on the ground at their base and then gathered up soil and hilled around the plants. I did that to all the plants except one. It was in another location and was overlooked (except by the rabbit).

I think I had the very best crop of broccoli that year, ever! Only that single over-looked plant failed to grow and do anything more than produce a thumb-sized bud. The other plants just seemed to gather their energy and the nutrients, recover and produce.

Water also seems important in the healing process but I suppose you may not need too much more of that right now . . .

digitS'

• gjcore
    14 years ago

Here in Aurora we had major hail 12 days ago. After the storm that included some hail to almost golf ball size my garden looked pretty sad. At this time though it looks like the only losses were one tomato and one pepper plant. Even those might come back.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

Here in our slice of Aurora paradise, any plant that was away from the fence or house got pounded, and pounded good. I have some beans that won't recover and several ornamental peppers that are done - otherwise, it looks like our 'yale' (as the 6-y.o. calls it) set the damaged veggies back about 2 weeks. The "natives" and adapted plants got damage but are recovering with little setback.

Dan

• david52 Zone 6
    14 years ago

I'm sure I've posted before about the micro-burst hail storm we had a few years back in early September. The garden was chock full of stuff ready to harvest - all the tomatoes, onions, peppers, squash, cukes, beans, etc etc. All the vines and tomatoes up on cattle panel trellises.

We got 4" of pea/ marble -sized hail in 15 minutes. It literally beat the garden to a pulp, beat the plants off the trellises, ripe winter squash was destroyed - the top half beaten into a pulp. It took me a week just to haul off the rotting vegetation. I maybe picked a dozen tomatoes that were ok, protected under the rest of the hammered plants, but was throwing away wheelbarrow after wheelbarrow full. It beat the bark off my fruit trees, and only a few survived.

So, I sympathize.

1/2 mile away, they had nothing but a brief rain shower.

• elkwc
    14 years ago

Here it seems we get some hail every year but usually light. Always one or two bad ones but usually I don't get hit bad every year. Although I can show you a strip south of town a mile that seems to get bad hail at least every other year. And has since we moved her in 1966. In all the hail damage I've experienced only once have I had it wipe me out. Five years ago we had hail with the biggest over a golf ball maybe close to a baseball for 45 minutes. I had 35 tomato plants along with all my other veggies. Only two of the 35 tomato plants came back. I'm not sure if it was the length of time it hailed. The fact it beat 3-4 foot plants in cages down to 6-8 inches tall or what but everything either ended up dying or severely stunted. What I replanted did well. It was June 29th and only got a few late tomatoes. Otherwise over the years I've been surprised at the recovery of tomatoes and other plants that looked like goners. I always tell everyone to be patient that in 2-3 weeks you will be amazed. That one instance is the only exception I've ever seen to that. And we are received a nice slow soaking rain this morning. Our first good rain in sometime. Hoping it continues all day. Jay

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting