Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elkwc

RAIn!!!

elkwc
14 years ago

We are receiving a nice slow soaking rain this morning. Almost every drop is soaking in. And no hail. We have periods of heavier rain that goes back to a slow steady rain. What a blessing. I can only imagine the change in the garden over the next few weeks. Nothing better for a garden than a rain tonic without hail. Jay

Comments (11)

• greenbean08_gw
    14 years ago

I'm glad you're finally getting some much needed moisture!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tales of a Transplanted Gardener

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

The Post fishwrap today had a story on the rain being too much for the hay growers. Last week we were in the midwest and saw an awful lot of cut hay sitting there, trying to dry, and parts of KS were this way as well...

But our little subdivision yard is luh-hoving it and the irrigation timer is shut off, haven't needed to water the veggies in weeks, self-watering containers need little water...

Dan

• bpgreen
    14 years ago

The paper this AM said that it rained 14 of the first 19 days in June. And there's more rain forecast for today (it sprinkled at some point, but the rain is supposed to come in the afternoon).

I love it because I haven't had to turn on the sprinklers yet. Unfortunately, there are a few places where the ground is saturated and there was a fire on a hill, so there have been some mudslides.

• jaliranchr
    14 years ago

Jay, I'm just thrilled it is finally falling in your corner of the world. Hope you get a good gentle soaker that will do some good for the parched soil there. And glad no hail with it. Thank goodness for that. We'll tell Ma Nature I got yours too and call it even. ;)

Shelley

• jnfr
    14 years ago

Yeah, I'll deal with rain as long as the hail and tornadoes stay away!

• jclepine
    14 years ago

Rain, rain, RAIN!

I will not complain, just state: Holy mackerel, we are getting a ton of rain!

Every night and often once per day-time, rain, thunder, lightening.

I've gotten used to not-watering.

I get up earlier (NOT easy for me) and do as much gardening and dog walking as I can.

Right now, it just blew in, suddenly. Huge gusts of water and rolling thunderous sounds. Frackering amazing!!

I know I'll be missing the water soon enough, but right now, I'm thinking I'll just be missing the spectacle of it all.

Earlier, the little lagoon behind the house was full of the neighborhood kids, squealing and wriggling in the water with their dogs. Now, it is much cooler and there is no one in the water.

Wheee, I might need my galoshes!

J.
    giddy and staring out the glass, watching it all wash down.

14 years ago

I'm an old weatherman, and I've been teaching the 6-y.o. about weather more intensely since several weeks ago I sent them down in the basement because we had a funnel cloud ~2000 yds south of the house. She feels more in control and less afraid knowing a little, and we try to predict when downdrafts will hit the house and cool us off, things like that.

Anyway, today we were at the pool and I had my eye on the clouds, I jumped in and showed her the clouds and asked her if she thought we might have to leave soon. Sure enough, 10 mins later we were out of the water. Riding home, I stopped her and made her sit with me as we watched a cloud, and I pointed out when you see this feature, almost always you can expect lightning and hail, and on cue we saw some lightning. As we were getting up I said out loud that part of the cloud is starting to rotate rapidly and we should get home to secure everything, and on cue the tornado sirens blew.

Needless to say, my stock is waaaaaay up today in her eyes, and (coming around to J's point), we had yet another pounding of wind that I'll surely have to go out and fix something, and our irrigation stays off while the lawn grows inedible 'shrooms.

So rain's stopped, lessee what happened...

:o)

Dan

14 years ago

Looks like I lost yet another ornamental pepper to the wind. There are numerous mushrooms in the non-irrigated lawn. The shade cloth over the cool seasons was dislodged - altho hot enough now the spinach is bolting...

Sigh...who can I call about this weather?!

Dan

• jnfr
    14 years ago

It looked like a hurricane out back, for about 20 minutes. Then the sun came out. Weirdest weather ever.

• greenbean08_gw
    14 years ago

We must have had a pretty wicked wind from the west while I was gone today. The peas are all at the east end of the trellis, the remnants of their little tendrils still on the string and the daikon radish that's trying to take over the world (I'm letting it go out of curiosity) looked beaten into submission today. No rain until late tonight though out here but I know it rained at the Air Force Academy this afternoon.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tales of a Transplanted Gardener

• bpgreen
    14 years ago

It absolutely poured last night for quite a while. So, of course, when I got up this morning, I could hear sprinklers going off all around.

I still haven't even tested mine.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio