Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mstywoods

paper wasps, pillbugs, and earwigs

mstywoods
10 years ago

Here's some interesting info (from O'Tooles email newsletter) on paper wasps, pillbugs and earwigs - I certainly didn't know this, did you?!

Paper Wasps -
Wasps are one of the most important natural pest controls in the garden. They prey on many harmful pests, especially caterpillars, like hornworms, cabbageworms, and tent caterpillars. Wasps can sting people, but they are generally non-aggressive and usually sting only when their nests are accidentally disturbed. Unless their nest is right above your door or in a high traffic area, leave the wasps alone to feed on insects. Most of the wasps don't survive the winter and the nest will be totally abandoned by late fall. Then you can safely remove it.
(I didn't know the wasps we have around here, or at least some of them, were called this. The picture I saw in google images did appear to look like the ones I've seen in our yard, though. Now I'm not so quick to want to get rid of these guys - just as long as they stay away from my doorways and inside my house!)

Earwigs -
Somewhere along the line, someone got the idea that earwigs crawl into people's ears. That is, thankfully, not true. But they are among the ickiest looking of garden dwellers. Despite their willy-inducing looks, many people consider earwigs to be overall beneficial since they feed on common pests such as aphids, mites and insect eggs. However, in large numbers, earwigs can cause problems, especially when they hide in ears of corn. Leave a rolled-up wet newspaper outside overnight to catch errant earwigs. This will keep the population in check, but let them go on happily munching aphids.
(so again, if they eat aphids, then they are worth keeping around. I did have a problem with them once eating my chard, but I don't grow that any more so guess I'm ok - as long as they don't get carried away in numbers!)

Pillbugs -
These harmless garden denizens are among the oddest and most fascinating creatures in our backyards. Known to schoolchildren everywhere as "roly-polys," pillbugs are not actually bugs at all. They are actually tiny land crustaceans, related to lobsters and shrimp. They even breathe through tiny gill-like structures. They also have blue blood. These 10 Facts about Pillbugs will give you a whole new respect for these little guys.
(I didn't read that they do anything beneficial to the garden, but seems they at least don't cause any harm)

Comment (1)