Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

In Praise of the Simple Things

digit
13 years ago

I'm always shy about posting on any recipe thread. I really doubt if anyone can work up much excitement about my recipes. DW is busy in the summer, does most of the cooking (okay, nearly all :o) and wants it simple and fast. I'm very lucky that she doesn't care much for "fast food," just fast preparation.

That means, I eat simply. Right now, I've got plenty coming from the garden and simply too many eggs coming from the little backyard chicken coop.

You can hardly beat eggs for a simple protein source - quick and easy, nutritious too!

Speaking of beets . . . I harvested my first baby beets a couple of days ago. Oh, I could've had 'em a little earlier but the seed went in a little late and I hate pulling dozens for a serving. They are just about my favorite veggie. I don't even need a beef sausage cut up with them to enjoy, just a dab of butter will suffice.

Chives! You know, chives are the very earliest to harvest and nicely mild to my tastes. And, they are baaack! They grow in the shadiest part of my backyard, north of a board fence and east of a garage. Still, they start early, make some pretty blooms, get cut back, and grow baaaack in an instant! I've got quite a chive patch!

Minced chives with scrambled eggs - that's pretty darn good food - especially if you've got a slice of cheddar to go with it.

I'm not much of a salad eater. Really, DW isn't either but she likes "butter lettuce." She made a big salad with Buttercrunch last night! I grow quite a range of lettuce varieties but I notice that it's predominately Buttercrunch that she goes for. It has been in my gardens since the '70's. She made me stop growing Oakleaf years ago, the Batavian was old seed and didn't come up worth a dang this year, but the Buttercrunch keeps her happy.

We could have minced some chives for the salad but the sweet onions needed thinning and those little green onions with a chopped hard-boiled egg and a nice dressing was all it took. Finally having a really warm spring day here made this meal especially nice.

The beets aren't large enuf for pickling yet but I've had a hard-boiled egg and pickled beet salad before. . . . Maybe you do something like that at your home. Can't beets be quickly and simply pickled?

Maybe you are inclined to simple pleasures. It's father's day. I'm not quite olde and in the way just yet. Seems like I should still be able to enjoy the simple things in life.

:o) Steve

Life is just a bowl of cherries

Don't take it serious,

Life's too mysterious

You work,

You save,

You worry so

But you can't take your dough

When you go . . .

Comments (3)