Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Iris after blooming

Posted by debitinco 5 CO (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 7, 06 at 10:36

The blooms on the iris plants are dead, stalks still standing, as is the foliage. [I don't think they bloom more than once in spring.]

Do I have to wait for the stalk to die to cut back? And can I cut back the foliage too? And do I have to wait for that to die as well? It is taking up a lot of room in garden...I would like to slip a few annuals in for color during the summer.

Any insights much appreciated...
Deb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Iris after blooming

Deb,

Some people do wait til the stalks have died to cut them, but I have always cut them after the bloom has faded with no problems.

Unlike bulbs (tulips, daffs, etc), iris foliage does not die back after bloom. It won't actually die down now until it gets cold. Until then it should be kept standing to help feed the rhizome and keep it healthy and growing.

If you have a lot of foliage in proportion to the amount of blooms, it may be time to dig up and divide your rhizomes. Check out the iris forum FAQ for some good advice on how/when to do this and for general tips on iris care.

Hope your irises put on a good show for you this year, they are among my favorites.

o
RE: Iris after blooming

Thanks WindWhipped! And there is way more foliage than blooms, so I guess a bit of dividing is needed.

This is my first spring/summer in the house, so everyday I have new surprises...seeing what was planted by previous owner.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here