Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbutt

YUCKO white stuff

gardenbutt
15 years ago

YUCK EEEAAKKK BAH

June 10 snowing in Kalispell

woke up to falling slush this morning.Its been coming down for awhile.Had to joke we bought annuals yesterday for the containers and now its snowing.Its not freezing at least where we are located.

Anyhow its out into the muck thats weighing down plants to shake them off so we do not get breakage. gotta love the rockies hmmmmmmmm.Maybe we can get some good pictures of the iris with snow sitting on them

Mary

Comments (13)

• digit
    15 years ago

Mary here on the ID/WA border, it is 36°F, raining lightly and we had wind gusts above 30 mph a couple of hours ago!!

I BELIEVED the Weather Service! They prophisized a "near normal" Spring!

After a close-to-record cool April, I still BELIEVED the Weather Service! All we needed was a "near normal" May and a warm June. May must have been near normal so I BELIEVED the Weather Service. But now this - - I may as well live in North Dakota!

Steve's digits
    Bismarck is warmer! If'n you want to see how your "growing season" is shaping up, heat-wise:

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Degree Days across the US

• bpgreen
    15 years ago

"I BELIEVED the Weather Service! They prophisized a "near normal" Spring!"

Doesn't near normal mean temperatures between 20 and 100, with periods of rain, snow, freezing rain and snow, sleet, hail, and drought?

Maybe frogs dropping from the sky, too, but I think that's less normal.

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    15 years ago

Cats and dogs dropping from the sky are much more normal than frogs dropping from the sky, BP! Other than that your description of normal Rocky Mountain weather is pretty accurate!

;-)
    Skybird

P.S. Hope all your plants come out of it OK, GB.

• luckybottom
    15 years ago

............ Oooo.............
    ............(....)............
    .............)../............
    ............(_/................
    ....oooO....................
    ....(....)....................
    .....)../.....Oooo............
    .....(_/.....(....)...........
    ...............)../...........
    ...............(_/...........
    ....oooO....................
    ....(....)....................
    .....)../.....Oooo............
    .....(_/.....(....)...........
    ...............)../...........
    ...............(_/...........
    ..... I WAS..............
    ............ HERE .....
    ....Leaving my .......
    Footprints in your
    ................SAND"

This was just to cute not to share, you can change the sand to snow GB...I had to come in to cool off. 95 degrees in the shade. Bonnie

• meteor04
    15 years ago

I remember last year we had one freeze morning in Northglenn in June. My only casualty was ALL of my Pak Choy bolted...And it was doing incredable up until that point.

• gardenbutt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well 6 this evening, snow still a falling,never put in the veges or the annuals they are moving into the garage tonight. Peach tree is covered, feral momma cat and babies under the deck have been covered so they are not drenched. One of the sons living towards libby has 6 inches of slushy snow.Ours keeps melting off so far , yes thank you ,, lows tonight supposedly 31,
    SB-The plants the main concern is breakage, we have that tv crew showing up in 2 weeks,,so its cross the fingers and hope it looks okay
    So Steve I guess thats whats headed our way, more wind gusts and wet stuff.Great.
    BP- No falling frogs, lol,, but poor hummers hanging under the eaves,
    Bonnie think I saw some of those footy prints in the slush,, hehehe 95 in the shade ,,you should be snowballed,, hehehe
    6 years ago we had a storm like this, that time it came in 2 days before a wedding in my show gardens, layed a 20ft lilac flat,, other then browning on a few flowers everything made it through fine for the wedding.So its fingers crossed with this storm as well.
    Mary

• bpgreen
    15 years ago

"poor hummers hanging under the eaves, "

Yeah, with the price of gas, I'm not seeing nearly as many hummers and SUVs on the road.

• lilacs_of_may
    15 years ago

And today my outdoor thermometer said 108 degrees.

• jclepine
    15 years ago

NOAA may be calling for a 30% chance of thunderstorms but it is snowing right now. Tomatoes are inside, snuggly warm.

• digit
    15 years ago

Such contrasts!! Not just from one side of the mountain to the other but day to day.

Here, there were 8 records noted by the Weather Service around the area . . . including a record low and a record low maximum in Spokane of 49. The previous record low maximum was 6 degrees warmer set in 1917.

Snow in Pullman . . . of course what gets reported on the national news is Seattle folks going up and looking at the snow in Snoqualmie Pass. Yeah, so??

digitS'

• margaretmontana
    15 years ago

The snow and freeze missed us last night!!! It is only 36 degrees out this afternon however so it may be too early to celebrate. But they are talking of 80 degrees this weekend? I keep telling the newcomers THIS IS MONTANA! what did you expect? I have seen snow and freezing every month of the year.

• jclepine
    15 years ago

Margaret, that is what our friends/neighbors told us before we moved here, "snow every month except sometimes only hail in July." We love it!

I told my boss this morning that it was snowing at home and she said "I'm jealous!"

The chihuahuas don't really like the bursts of cold, but I do.

:)

• gardenbutt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cool Margaret you missed out.We are up at about 43 today with rain now and then.I really think that the weather has gotten pretty mellow here in the last 3 decades though.I have lived here all of my life and it seems back in the sixties and seventies I remember still having snow melt down in April and trick or treating in knee deep snow.At my old place snow happened usually up til mid june it was just life, you learn to stretch those zones.
    Not sure about the 80s for the weekend, its saying 70 where we are located and 74 for Kalispell.I need a good weekend to finish outside up so that would be nice.HOpe this camara crew is prepared for rain when they show up!
    M