Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

along 49° North

digit
13 years ago

Since our concern right now is with our very young gardens and difficult weather, I thought another information source may be of interest - especially for gardeners near 49° North latitude.

Here, we are in the midst of a major rainstorm right now and, as usual, this storm is coming from the southwest. On the radar map, it looks like an enraged banty rooster coming in with feathers aswirl, spurs and feet flailing!!

Less active systems have frequently been swirling about us lately with circular winds, clouds and small storms coming out of the northwest - from British Columbia.

It is remarkable to me that I cannot find Weather Service radar showing storms from that direction! It is as tho' the weather north of 49°, doesn't exist!

Going to the radar maps of commercial sites like Accuweather and Weather Channel, doesn't help. And, Environment Canada shows the opposite: radar for Canada, with no weather existing in the US!

Anyway, a Canadian gardener was so good as to show me a site with radar that covers North America and I thought that I would share it: The Weather Network (linked below). For US locations, just click the "US cities" button above search. The radar link for that location will be in "Related Links."

Once on the radar map, you can click and drag anywhere in Canada, the US, even northern Mexico to see storms there. In fact, you can drag the map to South America or Europe! They just won't show you the weather.

Now, with "forecast discussions" - you're back in Ontario . . .

digitS'

Here is a link that might be useful: The Weather Network

Comments (3)