Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
david52_gw

Ground squirrel

david52 Zone 6
9 years ago

My house is built on a concrete slab. At the south end we have grouped together, separated by a wall, the master bath and the kids bath.

Apparently when they built the structure, they didn't pour concrete around the drains in the kids bath, just left an open space filled with dirt or sand or something

Last fall, we started hearing a ruckus in the bathroom, under the bathtub. Much pondering and head-scratching, and a few weeks later I discovered an entrance to a tunnel along the concrete foundation, about 15 feet from the bathroom. Seems a ground squirrel tunneled all that way for his/her winters' nest.

So I set a trap and caught three of the things. All was quiet over the winter.

Its started up again. They dug around a chicken wire 'plug' I put in the original tunnel opening. I set a trap, and go find out that the squirrel has plugged the entrance with dirt and leaves - so I suspect this time its Momma Squirrel building a nest and having babies.

I have another ground squirrel condo on the north side of the house as well, this time along a wall and under the patio. I caught 5 there last fall.

~sigh~

Comments (4)