Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gjcore

Some flower pictures

gjcore
9 years ago

Now that it's summer I thought I'd share a few pictures from the front yard.

Asiatic Lily opening right on the solstice again.

Love Lies Bleeding just starting to bloom

Some annuals in the shade. There were junipers in this bed not too long ago.

Part of the front yard

Greg

Comments (16)

• katgardener
    9 years ago

Pretty! Your garden reminds me of mine - lots of things close together.

I love Asiatic lilies, but have been finding it hard lately to locate anything but pixie varieties and would like some taller ones.

• luckybottom
    9 years ago

Beautiful, Greg!

Here is what I can manage to get flowers of:

Sweet Peas on the west side of the house. They seem to love all the moisture we are getting this early summer.

From Holly at the swap! Bloom during the day. No one was sure what this is but I sure love the color.

Cut garden. The hollyhocks are not open yet but are going to be something when they do.

Got these from a dear friend many years ago and they move themselves around.

Purchased some foxglove this year. Very surprised it is blooming. Love the lady's mantle in front. It is just starting to bloom.

Terry loves pansies. The lemon balm is not open yet.

• garnergarden
    9 years ago

Very beautiful stuff indeed! Here's the Bleed heart you gave me, gjcore... somehow I'm thinking yours looks better lol. But it's alive still!!

• garnergarden
    9 years ago

Here a touch of unique beauty.... a Meyer lemon flower. Smells so good!

• garnergarden
    9 years ago

Hmm... can't remember the name of these.... Anyone??

• katgardener
    9 years ago

My submission: Asclepias in front of Yarrow. I love bright color contrasts!

• catnohat
    9 years ago

I have been wanting black hollyhocks for years! I put them in last year and only got a couple flowers. This year they are taking off.
    ~Cat

• catnohat
    9 years ago

The Lily from Treebarb that I thought I killed.

• catnohat
    9 years ago

Crazy Daisies.

• catnohat
    9 years ago

My yellow Yarrow is a giant monster! Isn't it unnaturally huge? I tried to kill it a couple of times, but it keeps coming back anyway!
    ~Cat

• katgardener
    9 years ago

Cat, I love seeing your nice bushy Crazy Daisies! I'd been looking for them for years after seeing them at an Open Garden (the gardener couldn't ID them for me) and finally stumbled on them this year. I put two in my front yard a few weeks ago and am praying that they do well.

I also like your Hollyhocks, but with the fierce winds we get down here in the Springs I doubt I could get away with them without some serious staking. The same for Delphiniums, which I love. :(

I took this picture last night. I think that the Pokers are plain uvaria, but I put them in over ten years ago when I was just beginning to garden and had no concept of varieties and consequently checking, much less recording them. They've been going strong ever since, though, so I'm not complaining. I love pokers, and have four clumps in my back yard. I'm thrilled because I found at least one bud in all four clumps last night, which I believe is a first. The Penstemon in front of it is a Rondo, and I took the shot because, as usual, I liked the contrast. :).

I'm a wordy soul aren't I?

• ZachS. z5 Platteville, Colorado
    9 years ago

I am digging the crazy daisies! I also like holly hocks, but am too impatient to wait two years for flowers. This is actually my first year trying to grow flowers. Though, the clematis and the lavender bush keep coming back every year (I am not impressed with the clematis, it's been 3-4 years since we planted that thing and I have only ever seen 2 flowers on it. This year I had cut down 2/3 of the new vines due to disease.)

The borage is blooming nicely (I thought I was going to hate this plant after I planted the seeds and then saw pictures of the whole plant online, now I am wondering why I didn't plant more)

The poor clematis. Too bad cuz I really like these flowers.

And my morning glories that are stricken with thrips :(. I am actually really fond of these guys, too so it's sad that most of the blooms look like garbage.

• catnohat
    9 years ago

Pincushion flowers. I put them in last year, first blooms this year.

• catnohat
    9 years ago

I love snapdragons!

• katgardener
    9 years ago

Pretty snaps!! I love the bicolor kind.

Zach, what kind of Cllematis do you have? I have Jackman, and have been thrilled by them ever since first planting them about 6 years ago. I believe that this pic was taken their first year.

• ZachS. z5 Platteville, Colorado
    9 years ago

I don't know what kind to be honest, my mom bought it and I put it in for her. Maybe it doesn't like the spot it's in? Can you move them? Yours looks great! I bet it's a veritable clematis jungle by now!