Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aloha2009

Tough as Nail Ground Cover

aloha2009
11 years ago

I'm looking at putting ground cover in a VERY harsh environment. Of course I want it to look marvelous with little water ;)

During the summer it will be in full sun ALL day. Part of it is very rocky (can't fix) and part of it is wonderful soil. During the winter it will be shaded and covered with snow (doesn't melt). Lots of extremes. It will get high visibility during the summer and almost none during the winter.

Without a lot of trial and error, I was hoping that I might get A winning plant suggestion.

I'd prefer to stay away from junipers for various reasons, but they would survive well. I've considered sedums and St. John's Wort as possibilities, but I'm not sure if they could take the extremes. Perhaps someone else knows.

Our water is EXTREMELY expensive (we buy our water from Denver - ouch), so xeric plants are a definite plus. We're willing to cough up the extra bucks though if there is a spectacular ground cover that takes more water then some - willing to go xeric, just don't want it to look deserty.

Comments (4)