Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan_staley

Kind of Blue

Blame it on Skybird, but here's some pictures from my garden with shades of blue.

Clematis montana forgot the var:

Veronica x 'Trehane'

Veronica prostrata

Salvia x 'May Night'

Allium giganteum I learned this year that they prefer the mites off of them ASAP to make them happy:

Ixiolirion tataricum I have this in a tiny Z6 microclimate created by the raised bed at the corner of the house, protected from wind in south exposure:

Dan

Comments (22)

• gjcore
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Nice pics Dan.

Well if I post some pics on this thread I'll try to keep to the blue theme unlike the orange thread. My ex-wives always said that I was color blind and didn't follow rules all that well.

I just planted salvia today from seed so I guess it'll be awhile before those bloom in blue.

• aloha2009
    12 years ago

Gorgeous flowers!

• gjcore
    12 years ago

A couple things with blue...

The Bachelor Blue Button is starting to flower. It's sort of crowded and working as a trellis for the peas.

And a lonely blue Iris

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    12 years ago

Well I still don't have Picasa in the Mac, so these pics are from past years, but they're the things that are blooming now!

Veronica 'Waterperry' - almost done for the first time and I'll probably be chopping it off soon so it can start working on the next bloom!

Now these are BLUE! This is the kind of blue I wish there was more of! Never have understood how calling purple, blue, made it blue! Myosotis sylvatica

Dutch Iris!

I have three different German Iris in shades of (blue?) lavender/purple blooming right now too, buy no pics have made it into WebAlbums yet!

The Ajugas were so battered from the hail that I just gave up on them for this year and cut them ALL the way down to the ground for pretty new foliage for the rest of the summer!

The Allium I got at a swap, 'Star of Persia'. It has at least 10 flowers this year! The blue flax in front--more REAL blue--bit the dust over winter in '09!

'Blue Spruce'

'Blue Carpet'

October Daphne, Sedum sieboldii - A favorite of mine!

Blue Fescue 'Elijah's Blue'

My Eternal purple Violas! Bloom all but a couple months in the middle of winter!

And ---In Memoriam! I lost two things, suddenly and completely, last fall, and this is one of them! Peachleaf bellflower! It WILL be back in my garden by next year! RIP!

I also have a Penstemon that's now past its prime, that I don't know for sure what it is---and no pics "in the computer!" I got it at a swap a few years ago, this is the first time it's bloomed nicely, it's "supposed to be" 'Prairie Dusk', but that one has purple flowers and is a barbatus so it should have pretty big flowers, but this one is a smaller plant, smaller flowers, and they really are close to a sky blue! Need to get back to where I can post current pics so possibly you, Mr. Penstemaniac, can help me figure out what it is that I actually have!

I have a whole bunch of things that are just starting to, or about to bloom! 'Royal Candles' spike Veronica, 'May Night', which is gonna be lookin' really good for the first time this year, Rocky Mountain Penstemon, Turkish Veronica, Thalictrum aquilegiafolium.....

That's the first time I've ever seen a full size plant of V. prostrata blooming, Dan. That's real pretty! And I had never even heard of Ixiolirion tataricum so I did some looking yesterday (when I was on a cooling down work break!), and I think I'm gonna look for some bulbs of that this fall! I already got my first two Fall Bulb catalogs, Van Engelen and Scheepers (same place!), they both have it, and last year Van Engelen had a Super Cheap online bulb sale--I was gonna get some stuff so I spent a whole day looking up pics of things and trying to decide, then got busy for a couple days, and when I went back half of the things I wanted were already sold out! This year, as soon as I see it, I'm gonna sit down and pick out some stuff and order it--immediately! A lot of the things were in large quantities, so this fall I might possibly be posting to see if anybody wants to buy some really cheap bulbs from me so I don't wind up throwing half of them away! But they were so cheap that they'd still be cheap even if I didn't have room to plant them all! Hope they include the Ixiolirion in this year's sale! (BTW, when I was looking it up, I found one site that said it would naturalize to z4--and possibly even z3! I take it you don't believe that! Found zone listings from 3 to 7!!!)

Being blue is not so bad after all!

Skybird

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I got that Ixiolirion from High Country Gardens, Skybird. They say z 6-9. I also have it in a cutout in a DG path against the retaining wall, they seem to tolerate it there.

I had tossed that Scheepers catalog into the recycle & pulled out when I read your comment. Holy cr--, that's a good price! I'm about out of room for bulbs, but those prices make me want to buy more squill and Allium and Ipheion.

Dan

12 years ago

Oh, Dan! If you want more bulbs, get on the Van Engelen email list and wait for that fall sale! It was the end of October last year, and that's way not too late to be planting bulbs out here, even by the time you get them--unless we get some sort of a totally weird winter!

Here are the things and prices that I had picked out last year--that I waited too long to get! There was a $50 minimum order, and part of my (unfortunate) hesitation was because I wasn't sure I wanted to spend that much!!!

The one that got me serious about putting together an order was the
    Eremurus Ruiter-Hybrid mix at 6/10.05!
    I've always wanted some, and think they'll probably have them on the sale again this year!

Ipheion uniflorum 'Rolf Fiedler' - bright periwinkle blue! - 50/6.30

Ipheion uniflorum - 100/5.85

Chionodoxa forbesii - rich blue - 100/6.15

Considered: Corydalis solida - 50/9.45

Geranium tuberosum - 100/11.10

Muscari comosum plumosum - 50/9.00

Muscari 'Valerie Finnis' - light blue - 50/8.55

Scilla siberica 'Spring Beauty' - sky blue - 100/10.20

The Rinus Rim Narcissus Mixture - 10/11.25

Clearly I wouldn't have been able to put that many bulbs into my little yard, but I love bulbs, and I figured I could fairly easily be able to find somebody to take some of them off of my hands at those prices! There was a HUGE list--just the names, and I had to google a lot of them to see what they were so I could pick the ones I wanted the most (Actually, I wanted some of most of them!), and I'm sure there were Allium and other species of Scilla too! I couldn't believe it when I saw the list--and the prices--and when it comes out this year I'm gonna Drop Everything and get my order in! I'm hoping they have the Ixiolirion on the list too now!

Have to get back outside to claw some more of the potter's clay out of my tomato garden! They're getting hard to maintain in the pots, and I MUST get them into the ground!

Skybird

Original Author
    12 years ago

Lovely blue pot with some parrot's beak:

Dan

12 years ago

Pushin' it, Dan! Pushin' it!

But it is a pretty red! :-)

Not familiar with it--not into very many annuals!

Original Author
    12 years ago

Anything to keep the MIL from damaging the landscape, so she gets pots.

And its a lovely blue.

Dan

• gjcore
    12 years ago

I guess this one is "bluish:

Sage

Original Author
    12 years ago

Soon, this Veronica prostrata will grow together

And I -do- like that Dutch iris

That's Salvia 'May Night' and Veronica x 'Trehane'

Starting to look like I want.

Dan

• dsieber
    12 years ago

Nice photos all.. I am a sucker for Blue Bearded Iris. After 7 years in the UK nothing beats Wild Blue Bells in mass!!!!!!!!!!!!

Original Author
    12 years ago

After 7 years in the UK nothing beats Wild Blue Bells in mass!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lady Bird Johnson's bluebells on the side of the road in Texas - yessir. Who says one person can't make a difference?**

Dan

**(altho few of us have that much power at hand).

• dsieber
    12 years ago

Texas Bluebells.... Very pretty but they are coloured more purple (use the google to compare). English bluebells hang out in the shade so they could not hangout in Mrs. Johnsons HW environment. For Texas you are much more lucky than upstate NY where they are just into Cosmos and golden rod ....

• conace55
    12 years ago

I'm hoping that I've figured out how to post a picture here (thanks to Skybird's earlier thread).

This is one of my favorite bearded iris blooming in my yard.

Connie

• dsieber
    12 years ago

Nice Iris my Mom had some of those.

• mstywoods
    12 years ago

Here's some of my "kind of blue" (or is there a purple thread?!).

I'm actually not sure what kind of plant this is, as it was here when we moved in (tho almost buried behind other weeds and things, so I rescued it). It obviously looks like a daisy variety - but maybe an Aster?

I love the flowers, but the plant itself really flops over. Any ideas how to keep it from doing that?

Also, here is my Lamb's Ear - prior to cutting it back a few days ago.

Didn't get any pics of my purple iris, unfortunately - better planning next year!

12 years ago

My contribution to the Blue Thread for the Fourth of July!

Balloon Flower - Platycodon grandiflorus 'Sentimental Blue'

Veronica spicata 'Royal Candles'

And, blue in a different sense!

One of my favorites! October Daphne, Sedum sieboldii

My "blue" semp!
    (Still has a little bit of the winter pinkish cast in this pic! It's very blue sprucey looking in summer!)

And Sedum reflexum 'Blue Spruce'

Hurray for the Red, White, and BLUE!
    Skybird

• cnetter
    12 years ago

Delphiniums, before the wind:

The blue flower is Salvia Patens

A blue iris:

Mongolian Bless Clematis:
    {{gwi:615393}}

• dsieber
    12 years ago

cnetter FANTASTIC BLUE IRIS. Do you know the name???? If not is it some inheritance versions. I used to have some that my Mother had for over 30 years. If the later I would be contacting the Iris Suppliers, to find out if it is worth $$$$$$

Original Author
    12 years ago

Very nice cnetter, including orange kitty.

Dan

• cnetter
    12 years ago

I'm fairly certain the iris is Yaquina Blue. I bought it from Iris4U down in Denver a few years ago. I highly recommend them.

Gah, I misspelled Mongolian Bells Clematis