Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gladioli and Iris bulbs on the front range- winter

Posted by damos 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 13, 11 at 12:50

Hi
This may seem a little early to be asking this question, but do gladioli bulbs need to be dug up and stored during the winter around here or can they be left in the ground?
I was once told they need to be dug up, which we did last year, but I am looking for a second opinion in case it might not be necessary.

Also, iris bulbs - the dutch nonrhizome type that look like onions. Does any one know if I'll need to remove them from the ground in the fall?

Thanks,

Damien

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gladioli and Iris bulbs on the front range- winter

• Posted by dsieber z5 Lakewood CO (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 13, 11 at 19:42

On the gladioli bulbs need to be dug up. Not sure non rhizome Iris.

o

Hi Damien,

If your Iris bulbs are actually Dutch Iris, they stay out in the ground year round like tulips or daffodils. That's the only one I know of that's a bulb rather than a rhizome, so if there are others, I don't know--but if they're spring blooming, my guess would be that they stay out. My Dutch Iris have foliage all summer, and don't die off completely like other "true" spring bulbs.

Dsieber is right that glad bulbs should be dug every year, but I had some right against the south side of a dark brick house one time that I never got around to digging up, and they came back just fine the next year, so it really depends on the winter and your particular micro-climate--but if you want to be sure to have them the next year, dig them up and store them.

Welcome to RMG,
Skybird

o

Thanks for the info!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here