Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catnohat

They were great, but now they're gone. What next?

catnohat
9 years ago

This year was my first time growing regular peas. It's true that fresh peas are soooo great, but now they are done. I only did 2, 7 foot rows, but I was happy with them. I can still put in another kind of bean in their place right? Is there time for green beans or sugar snap peas? I want to try soybeans some day, any advice on that?

I'm still kinda new to growing beans. Advice on perfecting the art appreciated!

~Cat

Comments (6)

• gjcore
    9 years ago

Nice looking pea harvest :-)

Plenty of time for beans yet. There's pole beans or bush beans to choose from. If pole beans then you need a tall trellis which may still be in place from your peas. I prefer narrow trellis compared to teepee style because it only takes a few overlooked beans that don't get picked to slow production down.

• digit
    9 years ago

No peas here so those are a welcome sight, Cat! It won't be long - the snap peas are blooming, crazy!

I used to think that I could plant bush beans straight through July. Losing a late planting twice convinced me otherwise. Still, I use July 15th as a drop-dead date. Surprising how well the pods will fill out during the cool wet weather, a week or so before frost!

I 've got so many beans late, I don't plant many early. A very good choice for summer sowing.

Soybeans? Better pick a quick maturing. Mine are up well and have their true leaves!

Steve

• jaliranchr
    9 years ago

I'm with the guys, Cat! Go for it! I've put beans in as late as the last week of June and had a good harvest.

Nice pea harvest!

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    9 years ago

I haven't had "real" peas for a few years, and I'm salivating all over the place looking at yours! Fresh, raw peas are one of my Favorite Things!

If you'e gonna plant beans, consider some wax beans. Can't explain the difference, but they're slightly different from green beans! I've never found a good pole wax bean, but the best bush type I've found is Cherokee, an old standby and should be easy to find seed. And if you keep them picked regularly they should continue to produce for the rest of the season.

Enjoy,
    Skybird

• BohemianCottage
    9 years ago

Nice harvest! I just started to harvest the snow peas I planted from seed early spring today. I made a tasty stir fry with them and the first of the golden zucchini. In place of the peas I am going to go for a bush green bean I think.

• digit
    9 years ago

I've got snap peas!

It will be awhile for the snow and shell peas. There won't be many of those. I've got the longest pea trellis ever, over a 4' bed. It's 40', but there is only one. Building 3+ trellises each year may be only history.

I like peas! Pulled another Viking Purple potato plant yesterday and had creamed snap peas and new potatoes for dinner! (I've just finished the left-overs for lunch. :o) I better leave the potatoes alone for 3 weeks, at least. Those 2 plants didn't have quite 3# of spuds between 'em. If I'm gonna get 1#/square foot - they are gonna have to do better than that.

Bok choy seed can go in that potato bed this month, as soon as the spuds are harvested. Oooorr I can plant more snow pea seed in that bed, Cat'. Yep, that last, very hot week of July, should give me pea pods and vine tendrils about the first of October.

Steve
    who just might have a zucchini, soon.