Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skybirdforever

Leavin' on a jet plane!

Hi all,

Just want to let you all know that IÂm about to leave on my first (working) trip since January 8th! So I probably wonÂt be posting a whole lot around here, but, as always, IÂll be reading and keeping up with whatÂs going on when IÂm home.

IÂm still having some trouble with equilibrium and a few other things, so keep your fingers crossed for me that this works! I so donÂt want to wind up back off work and sittin down here on the ground again.

IÂll be checking all your gardens when IÂm going over them!

Skybird

Comments (17)

• bpgreen
    15 years ago

Glad you're feeling well enough to get back to work, although I can't imagine it will be a lot of fun on the plane with equilibrium problems. I hope everything goes well.

• meteor04
    15 years ago

Blue skies Skybird. See ya when you get back.

• jaliranchr
    15 years ago

Good luck, skybird. Take care of yourself and we'll see you soon.

• dafygardennut
    15 years ago

Great news! Don't forget your helmet :-)

• elkwc
    15 years ago

My garden would appreciate you towing a rain cloud over and leaving it overhead!!! Have a safe and blessed return to work.

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

Congratulations on receiving your wings again!

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the well wishes, everyone. IÂs so nice to have you all here for supportÂgardening and otherwise! I survived my first trip, a 4-day, in spite of hours and hours of delays and some pretty bad turbulence, and IÂm pretty sure itÂs going to be doable. Did have some trouble with getting dizzy when I had to pull the carts up the aisle walking backwards!

Dafy, IÂm still looking for one of those green helmets, but, in the meantime, IÂm MUCH more inclined to sit down as soon as it gets bumpy! IÂve been adequately frightened by my doctor and a few other people that if I get another head injury I could be a vegetable for the rest of my lifeÂand I donÂt want you guys showing up to water me once a week! And I definitely donÂt want you trying to pick meÂso IÂm being good!

Elkwc, we were in and around lots and lots of rain clouds, but I still havenÂt come up with a system for hooking them onto the back end of the plane to get them back here! IÂll keep working on it! But next time IÂm going over your area IÂll dump a couple pots of coffee down the drain! Keep an eye out for a brown lump of ice coming your way!

Thanks again for the good thoughts everyone,
    Skybird

P.S. Jali, is there still a move in the works for you?

• jclepine
    15 years ago

I'm not sure this is a good idea!! If something happens, it could affect you in a lasting way. Sigh, I guess you have to do what you enjoy, but cant you stay in the terminal? Silly question, I know :)

I wish you good luck and lots of fun doing what you love.

J.

• stevation
    15 years ago

Skybird,

If you find out you're flying into SLC, I could dig up a Lavatera for you and meet you at the airport, especially if it was during my regular work hours, since I live about 40 miles from the airport but work on a few miles from it. I know you want one real bad!

BTW, I got word from Dereks that a few of his lavatera seeds finally sprouted. Sorry the seeds were such duds!

• jaliranchr
    15 years ago

Good to see you are behaving, skybird. :)

Yup, painting walls and hoping the market improves and I be long gone from this place. The wheatgrass lawn and xeric plants should tempt someone.

• stevation
    15 years ago

Jali,

Where are you moving? I think you said once that you were from back East, didn't you? Are you heading back there? Good luck, whatever you do!

• jaliranchr
    15 years ago

Hi Steve, no I'm a native Coloradon. Leaving the Lemon for the Big House of AZ.

• elkwc
    15 years ago

Elkwc, we were in and around lots and lots of rain clouds, but I still havenÂt come up with a system for hooking them onto the back end of the plane to get them back here! IÂll keep working on it! But next time IÂm going over your area IÂll dump a couple pots of coffee down the drain! Keep an eye out for a brown lump of ice coming your way! You give the same answer my cousin who flies and hooks those banners they pull over the major events. I think you are both cop out!!! LOL. Got within ten miles of us last night. Sure would help my garden. The brown lump will be so much better than nothing. Just let me know if you need any GPS readings to drop it by!!!!!! LOL.
    Pray you continue to have safe and happy flights. JD

• dafygardennut
    15 years ago

I was listening to old George Carlin records and at the beginning of his "high on a plane routine" says "Please return your stewardess to her upright position" (though now that would be flight attendant) - made me think of you :-)

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I wish somebody COULD return me to the upright position right now, Dafy! IÂve been off for a week with the flu! Apparently while I was sitting down here in the sterile earth air, I lost my resistance to the plethora of germs and viruses that are omnipresent in airplane air! This too shall pass! I am starting to feel a little bit better again, but I think itÂs still gonna be a few days before I can stay in the upright position well enough to go back to workÂespecially since I now need to be super-duper-double-sure my head doesnÂt violently impact anymore airplanes! Keep sending "upright" thoughts in my direction! ;-)

Jennifer! NO! I canÂt stay in the terminal! I donÂt want to stay in the terminal! Who would ever want to stay in a terminal!!! The fun part is when youÂre catapultingÂin a hopefully controlled mannerÂthru the air at 500 miles per hour in a pressurized metal tube with a skin so thin you probably wouldnÂt believe it if you knew the thickness! THATÂS the part I want to be doing!

Steve, if I ever happen to get a layover there, it would be wonderful if you were able to bring some of the Lavatera to the hotel. I never did get any to germinate, but I still have seed left and will probably try again this winter if I donÂt get one by then. We rarely get long enough layovers to go to a downtown hotel anymore, so it would very likely be an airport hotelÂsince IÂve been off, I donÂt know which one weÂre staying at right now. Could you email me a phone number where I could leave a message just in case thereÂs a change in my trip after I leave homeÂand my computer? AndÂthereÂs no obligation at all! If I ever let you know IÂm gonna be there and it doesnÂt work for youÂthat works for me. I appreciate youÂre even considering doing it!

Jali, I hope your house selling venture works out for you. Hate to lose you as a fellow Coloradan, but being somewhere where youÂre happy is SO important! Any chance youÂd make the "short" drive in for the Fall Swap before you leave us?

Elkwc, IÂll just aim for the Kansas/Colorado border! What say I add a couple cans of soft drinks and a carton of OJ to the lump? Or maybe I could hook up one of those banners to the tail and cover it with velcro trying to snag some of those clouds! (Actually, I think there was a lot of weather out your way today. Were you lucky?)

Thanks again for the well wishes, everyone. At least getting the flu should have my immune system ramped way up and keep me from getting anything else for quite a while!

Skybird

• elkwc
    15 years ago

Skybird hope you're able to take flight again soon. Know it is frustrating to just get back and get sick.
    Anything that will make a liquid will be welcome. So far have received 4 tenths which we are very thankful for. Hopefully will get some more during the night. Have had 9 tenths in the last two months. The last 4 tenths really boosted my plants. Nothing like a rain water tonic. But surprisingly most of my plants are doing very well. Maybe if it gets started raining it will continue.
    Happy flying and gardening. JD

• nicole__
    15 years ago

Good for you,back flying! Was the flight full? Airlines are in the news these days....just wondering...