Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
free mulch from city of Westminster

Posted by b2alicia zone 5 Westminster (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 7, 13 at 14:00

One day every month, residents of Westminster can pick up free mulch. I missed it in May, but do not plan to miss it in June!

My plan is to cover all the fabric with mulch over in the veggie garden area.
 photo IMG_0922.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: free mulch

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: free mulch from city of Westminster

Yeah, it's great stuff b2alicia - we've been taking advantage of it for several areas of our yard as well. We pull out the larger pieces, as it's a very coarse chop, but overall, makes a great ground cover for areas that you don't mind looking more rustic/natural.

I imagine other cities offer this as well.

o

What do you use to tote it home? Do you have a pick-up truck?

I'm planning to line the back of the 4runner with a big tarp, and use a big scoop to scoop it into the back, on top of the tarp.

Should work, hmm?

o

We have a small pickup, and we line it with a big tarp as well. Then when we get home, we start raking out some of the mulch onto the ground. Then when we've made the load a little bit lighter, we grab a hold of the tarp and yank on it several times till eventually it slides all the way out of the bed onto the ground. Works pretty well that way, and is easier overall than trying to rake it all out of the bed of the truck.

Maybe we'll see ya there! ;)

o

I'll look for you!

I plan to back up into the driveway, and open up the back end. I'll have the garden cart, as seen below, right there waiting.
 photo IMG_0863.jpg

And then it's only about ten feet to the gate where the mulch needs to go.
 photo IMG_0922.jpg

I plan to use the mulch as a cover for the fabric in the veggie area.
I love being in the yard!

o

What a nice service. Went very smoothly!

o

Glad you got some mulch, Betty! Did you get enough to cover your veggie area?

We couldn't make it this month - my DH has some bad back and sciatic nerve issues that flared up, so we had to skip. Next month!

Marj

o

Sorry hubby was feeling poorly... It was a cool breezy morning.

When I got the mulch home, I was a little bit surprised to see how much tinsel there was! I'm still picking it out.

photo IMG_0977.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here